nextel mobile

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RidgeRunner

nextel mobile

Post by RidgeRunner »

OK before people flame me, I am just curious would purchasing one of these and putting it on my service plan require me to pay for another phone on my service? Basicly all I want to know is can I buy one of these and throw it in my truck so I can talk to people in my talkgroup. Its a iDen m370 any information on this would be nice! I interested on programming information and if anyone has tried this.

Thanks
BDB

Post by BDB »

Yep you would need an addtional service plan for it. If you are really interested in doing it you may get a shared plan for the two units.
RidgeRunner

shared plans

Post by RidgeRunner »

Already have two phones on the shared plan, I was kinda hoping to just clone one, and only turn the mobile on when I was in the mobile and never both have them on the same time. I guess the truely 100% legal way would to be go that route, I guess I would just have to shell out more money a month... :evil: unless I hear of a better idea...which is what I want.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The fact is that each unit has a unique ESN and the cell companies don't WANT you to be able to use two radios with the same ESN because they make more money if you pay for two different units. In the past some individuals "cloned" cell phones so that they were capable of the exact type of operation that you described, but between the FCC and the system owners they got slammed pretty hard whenever they were discovered. It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just that it's illegal.

Operationally, Nextel operates in the same general manner as the traditional cell companies, so the "no two ESN's alike" applies to both types of operation.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

actually, they use something much like ESN numbers, called IMEI numbers. This are supposed to be virtually impossible to clone. I too would love to have an I370 in my car so I can drive around and have the power, but this is a company phone so I can't mess with the account features.

I do have 2500 direct connect minutes which i hardly touch since they got the bright idea of taking my boss's nextel away, and letting him keep his sprint phone (go figure.)

-Alex
mike38015
Batboard $upporter

Post by mike38015 »

:o You may want to ask Nextel if you can add direct connect only to the M370, the company I work for has 15 phones that are direct connect only. It is a fraction of the cost plus they will also allow 911 calls so if there is a problem they can still call 911 for help. :o
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

How do you get direct connect only? I asked Nextel if I could get that and they said no.
RidgeRunner

whoa whoa

Post by RidgeRunner »

First off you can have a direct connect only plan and IT CAN BE DONE I know this. You have to be careful when I got my shared plan it said you had to have 3 phones or more, and I only wanted to have two. I told the sales rep at my local nextel store that it makes no sense. Why cant I have two, he said ya thats true, so he called the main office. So just make sure, you make your sales rep find out. He couldnt beleive they would fax the latest rate plan with such a mistake. Well anyways I know that a i1000 and a m370 can be cloned I read about it in a old post. I think I may just op for the directconnect only option. Thanks
Cell God

Yes DIrect Only is possible!!!!

Post by Cell God »

Just F.Y.I. 1.) Nextel direct connect only is available. In the begining it was $49.99 per month for Direct Connect only. 2.) Before they had cross fleeting yes you need to have a certain amount of phones but not anymore since cross fleet for free came along. 3.) Right now they charge you $54.99 per month and give you cell and UPC (unlimited private call). So all they did was up it $5 and give you some cell, why???? 4.) Because when all you had was UPC you could still use the phone but it costed you why to much. It was about $0.35/per min. and to many people who had workers using it for work and found out that the cell worked were racking up bills. In addition you can lock the Nextel unit for Phone only, but can not lock it for Direct Connect only.

As for the person looking for the mobile and portable issue I have run into that myself and I have over come it and here is how.

1.) I live in the Mnpls, MN market and right now they have a national share plan at $39.99/month for UPC and no cell and this is a pooling plan. So I pay $49.99 plus $39.99 and both are share plans and boom.
2.) The draw backs you have 2 private ID's so if someone is not with it they will Direct connect my mobile all day long and not my i80, and vice a versa.
3.) Nextel is trying to sway away from any mobiles at all they want all portables on the market so there is a possibility that they may just say no we can not activate it. Also the mobiles are pretty expensive brand new, and used are beat up to hell, and you better hope that the IMEI is free and clear otherwise they want you to pay off the remaining balance on the IMEI. ( One of the screws you get from EBay sometimes )

Hopes this helps and this is my $0.02 from the Mnpls. MN market (Note some markets have different plans!!!)
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

According to my rep in NYS, you can get a phone with 50 minutes of direct connect and no cellular minutes..... The cellular minutes were around $0.19/min. Which I guess is on par with everything else that's out there today.

This apparently was a NYS deal that they had setup with the state, but if your were public service of some sort, you should ask about state contract pricing, maybe someone can hook you up. Then again, I would burn through 50 minutes like no tommrow...

I have the 500/2000 and 2500 direct connect plan, plus the Nextel Online Plus service...

-Alex
chiefops

direct connect-only service

Post by chiefops »

nextel told me last weekend $33.99 a month unlimited direct connect-only.
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

I just looked here in Michigan. They are now offering unlimited direct connect for $39.99/mo and add phone for $54.99/mo
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

IMEI and Mobiles

Post by willbartlett »

TWO things. I used to be a re-seller for the evil empire (sorry microsoft).

1. You can call nextel cust. care, 1-800-639-6111, and just press 0 till you get a droid, and just tell them you want to check status of an IMEI, they will tell you if it's clear or not. Best to wait till the 1st of the month, just in case the billing dept takes a while to update the non-paid list. End of billing cycle is usually the 11th of the month

2. Also, if you're the primary or an authorized account manager, you can swap IMEI's all day long. I keep upgrading mine and my wifes phones, still doing it as a favor for my old boss. Give them the IMEI or mobile number of the old unit, tell them you want to swap a new unit onto that user id, and away you go. Even the most useless callcenter reps there can do this. Done this dozens of times.

Not all bad, those folks, but I did drive by the Nextel site down the road last week, and it wiped out the front end of my STX monitoring the SP system here, so I know it's true in regards to the interference.

Will

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”