How is MDC preamble on keyup possible?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dxon2m

How is MDC preamble on keyup possible?

Post by dxon2m »

I just heard one of the news agency here that does that. The radio transmits MDC with preamble enabled after keyup. Isn't the preamble option available only for keydown? What radio is capable of this?
AEC
No Longer Registered

MDC on dekey....

Post by AEC »

Depends on RSS version, the older ver. 5, like I have, is keyup only, but my version 7XXX has the option in the radio options menu, when MDC is selected, you are directed to enter ID and then you will see the selection listed as follows: 1-keyup, 2-Both, 3-dekey.

Enter your ID and how you want MDC to actuate.

I've tried Ver. 4 and earlier as well, and only Ver. 7XXX appears to have the option to select MDC keying options.

My SysSaber has the option/s as well, and I have one of the latest and a few of the earlier also.

I'm in debt by .05C after this post......And my check hasn't cleared yet.
HOWARD

Most radios

Post by HOWARD »

Most radios have the option of keying up before, after or both. The Jedi series, the Astro radios, the Pro Series all key up that way.
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

The older radios have the key/dekey selection and most of the newer ones say pre/post.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

True, most radios have the option of MDC pre/post,

However, this refers to MDC ID only, not preamble which I'm sure is available "pre" only.

Preamble would serve no purpose post ID
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I think its a question of confusing terms

Key-up, Key-Down, Pre or Pre-key all mean the same thing

PTT-ID (with or without preamble) inserted after PTT is pressed and before voice comms begin.

preamble was designed to allow faster and more complete muting of MDC data packets.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

So since preamble is designed for a higher decoding rate, is it correct that inserting preamble on keyup serves no purpose?
Last edited by dxon2m on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

No, the other way around. Turning on preamble will help mute hearing any MDC packets when recieved by the other radios.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Interesting too that only the pro series radios (CDMs, Waris) insert preambles in pre- as well as post PTT IDs. As AS/XTS/Jedi etc only show "preamble during pre-PTTid".
apco25

Post by apco25 »

How is that possible - preamble is inserted in the dead air pre time before the ID packet is sent.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the "BitSync" packets that have to be enabled to where the PreKey MDC Sounds more like a phone ring??

-Ray
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The jedi's call it pre-able. The CDM/HT's call it "Bitsync packets" It's the same thing.

The CDM/HT's will send the preamble on a Post-ID (dekey) and it is quite pointless. Other radios will only use the preamble on Pre-ID where is a very underused and useful option.

The act of pressing the transmit button can be refered to as keyup or keydown. The act of releasing the transmit button would be de-key or unkey. I think there is a lot of backwards interchangement of these terms in this thread.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Pj wrote:No, the other way around. Turning on preamble will help mute hearing any MDC packets when recieved by the other radios.
PJ,

I thought the digitally operated squelch (dos) settings determined how much of the MDC packet you would hear on the receiving radio- basically all you would hear is a "chirp" if anything at all - as opposed to the full MDC packet. I'm still sure that "preamble" settings have no bearing on what a receiving radio mutes.

-John
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Preamble causes the radio to mute faster with or without DOS settings enabled.

You can basically set DOS to 0 with preamble enabled and get none of the MDC chrip coming through. This is especially nice because DOS if not set exactly right can clip off the first part of a transmission
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Ahhhhhhh,

Makes sense , like they say- you learn something new everyday. :)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”