XTS series and Li-ion batteries

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mtr12222

XTS series and Li-ion batteries

Post by mtr12222 »

Guys,

I have been having a problem with the contacts on the Li-ion batteries not always making contact with the radio. On 5 different radios with Li-ion batts. if you move the battery slightly the radio will reboot, sometimes you don't realize the radio is off and you have to move the battery around a bit.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has Motorola improved the contact design?
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

and the question is..........

is this a factory radio?

or

is it a radio with the wrong housing on the front?

reason i ask is that i was having the same problem with a certain xts 3000.... turns out the radio was an "A" model chassis with a "B" model vocon and "B" model ruggedized front..... the radio was NOT a rugged chassis either (no vent port)

moving the batt side to side = reboot

changed the housing to a non-rugged "A" model front.... and all the problems disappeared.

i would also inquire if these are the ebay $22 specials or high $$$ factory batteries?

it sure seems odd that the ebay batts, which are EXCELLENT IMHO, are on the market so cheap - i don't know if they were subject to some recall or were prototypes or what....

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mtr12222

Post by mtr12222 »

The radios are factory ruggedized model III's. The batteries are ebay specials but are Motorola batteries. I wonder if the batts. were prototypes or recalls. I have noticed that the battery contacts are flimsy compared to the NiCad battery contacts.

I do like the weight and size of the radio with the Li-ion though and the battery lasts a long time.
52eddie

Post by 52eddie »

I've noticed the same problem on my 3500 vs my 3000. I'm guessing my 3500 was parts built since i bought it secondhand. The battery contacts washer/o-ring seems to be beefier than the OEM 3000. The LiIons work fine on my 3000 but don't seem to contact well on the 3500 unless you squeeze the battery and front housing. As mtr12222 noticed, it seems the Li-ion battery terminals are more recessed than the std. NiCad batts ones.

Oh and these were OEM M batts. Ebay specials - yes, but because they had expired date codes but NIB.
wb4bsd
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000v, MTS2000v, MTS2000u

Post by wb4bsd »

I had that problem with a battery, but only when it was clipped to my pocket with the belt clip. I suspect that the movement of the radio seperated the battery connection for a short period. I just got a paper clip and pull that battery connections out a little bit so that would make better contact.
Rusty
(I no longer have nextel. I now have an iPhone)
5-sides

Post by 5-sides »

I currently have an NTN9862 Lithium on mine, with no complaints. Lasts long, weighs less.

I have had problems here and there with other batteries, but so far not with this batch. We have quite a variety of batteries, Moto, Multiplier, NiMH, Li-ion, etc. None of the types or brands have given us consistent problems with contacts, but it has happened with a few batteries.
Reset Operator Head Space and Timing

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”