HT1000 knobs. Are there high torque ones?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firefighter2000
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 MTS2000 M1225 HT1000

Post by firefighter2000 »

The volume knob on my HT1000 is really easy to turn, and is sometimes inadvertently turned off. Is there any way to make it harder to turn or something to that effect?
Thanks
Craig
Pat

Post by Pat »

Pull the knob off and make sure the blue o-ring is still there. If it's not you should be able to get one from your dealer. I had this same problem when I had my JT1000 in for repair and the dealer forgot to put the o-ring back on.

Pat
jcork

Post by jcork »

One common solution I've seen is to put a rubber band around the volume and squelch knobs, wrapped a few times (tight is NOT the goal). The rubber band creates additional friction against accidental rotation.
firefighter2000
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 MTS2000 M1225 HT1000

I'll try & get one

Post by firefighter2000 »

Looks like I need a blue O-ring. Anyone have a spare one? Mine isnt there. Could be the reason for mine being so loose.
Thanks
Craig
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I'd say go check with your local hardware or auto parts store for an o-ring. Just take the radio with you, and find one that fits right. Most such places should have a bin of o-rings that they sell in singles, and they usually well under a dollar a piece. Another option I've seen is to stuff a small piece of foam rubber under the knob. Not enough to make it push off the shaft, just enough to make it a little stiffer.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
kato56

Post by kato56 »

I've had pretty good luck with o-rings that are mentioned here, but they don't seem to compare to the blue o-ring in torque, feel, etc..... I got my standard o-rings at Home Depot for ~ 80 cents ea.

I'm also interested in qty 4 blue o-rings for my jedi radios if anyone here has a source and part #.

Thanks
Al

Post by Al »

None of the exploded parts drawings that I have for the HT1000 show anything used around the shaft of the vol/on/off control. I have used small felt washers in the past, but I believe that I've also seen the control seal from the Visars, p/n 3205379W01 used by others to correct the same shortcoming originally mentioned.
The Visar part is a blue-green o-ring which provides just enough extra friction between the knob and housing when slipped over the vol pot shaft to do the job.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Do the other Jedi styles (MTSX) have said o-ring? My factory UHF one didn't come with one.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I'm wilth Al on this, never seen any 'O' rings on Jedi controls and I've had many of these including brand new.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

What I do to my MTS is rest the control knob against a table/hard surface and GENTLY tap the bottom of the radio with the heel of my hand (as to tap the knob down to make contact with the housing- that usually, at least for a while "tightens" the feel of the knob.
candrist
What radios do you own?: XPR5550/7550, MTS2000 800MHz

Post by candrist »

I have a MTS-2000 and it doesn't have any o-rings. I had a problem with my ABC switch and had to replace it. It includes the ABC, volume, freq, orange button, side buttons and ptt. Once I put the new switch assembly in the Volume and Frequency knobs were tight. It seems like over time they get loose.

here is a picture of what the part looks like:

kato56

Re: HT1000 knobs. Are there high torque ones?

Post by kato56 »

It seems over time, all of my JEDI (MTS/MT/MTX/HT exhibit loose volume knobs.
I purchased my o-rings at ACE Hardware who sells them for .24 cents ea. They are 3/16 x 5/16 x 1/16 or equivalent. The drag created now feels tight like a new radio and now I don't have to worry about the radio accidently turning on in my bag, or bumping the volume knob and have the an earful of max audio. You can adjust the amount of drag by simply pulling up slightly until you achieve the "right" feel.
Here's the ACE part number:
Last edited by kato56 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Re: HT1000 knobs. Are there high torque ones?

Post by WV8VFD »

Just wanted to throw a thanks out for this. I have been PO'd cause mine is doing this. When I have it on, I dont mind, but when I put the surveillance kit on, and sit down and my gut hits the knob I just love the ear full of super loud tones.
Tyler Lewis

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”