minitor v already not working

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

redneck_1086

minitor v already not working

Post by redneck_1086 »

i loved my minitor v while it worked how ever lately when i've gone to charge it the light blinks but never turns solid and it turns on and off the charger and pager like it's not getting any power. and today my pager will not run off of it's own battery power, it has to be on the charger to run wich seldom works it's self. and it will not charge at all. if any one has had any other problems with their minitor v please let me know i might go back to minitor iv, also does any one know what's wrong i realy don't want to take it to the shop but at least it's still under warenty.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It just sounds like the battery has become defective. Get it exchanged, that's what warranties are for.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
redneck_1086

don't think it's the battery

Post by redneck_1086 »

if i took the battery out and put it on the charger it should stay on and it's not and i tested the battery and it's puting out the amount it should and sometimes when i turn the pager on with the battery in it it makes a real quiet squeleing noise, do you still think it's the battery.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The pager will run in the charger without the battery???

Sounds like all the symptoms of a dead battery.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
redneck_1086

not dead battery

Post by redneck_1086 »

i thought the same thing so i tested the battery and it is right at where it is supposed to be and just while ago i tried it again and the pager workes fine. i think it has something to do with the charger
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

sounds to me like i'd check the contacts on the charger, on the unit, and then the battery contacts and see if i'm getting good voltage thru them, and then a nice fiberglass pencil txment to see if there's any corrosion...and then see if the issues persist.
redneck_1086

not contacts

Post by redneck_1086 »

contacts seamed to work just fine but when i would take the battery out of the pager and insert it in again it would not work i would have to put it all to gether in the pager slot for it to start working again
KuhnElectronics
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Moto, Vertex

Post by KuhnElectronics »

Ok, say you if you put the battery in, dropped it in the charger, and now its working, if you take it out, does it still work? If so for how long??

If it doesnt work, or doesnt last for more than a few minutes then the battery is dead.

So like earlier mentioned, check and make sure the charger is making good contact. The contacts on the bottom of Min's get filled up with crap very easily. I have numerous times cleaned mine because the small holes fill with dirt.

Or the battery may just be bad, just because you may be reading the correct voltage doesnt mean it is the best battery. It could have some internal damage or be defective from the factory.

Save some time and drop some friend's batteries down in the pager and see what kinda result you get. Do some testing and isolate the problem.
redneck_1086

might be

Post by redneck_1086 »

ya i havn't thought of that i'll take it to the shop and double check on another battery thanks for the help
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Just because the batteries check good outside of the charger doesn't mean they are good. Do you have any way to check them under load? You may well see a different story that way.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
redneck_1086

Post by redneck_1086 »

thanks for all of your help it was the battery that has already went bad, i would have been happy spending $15 on a new batter if i hadn't had to wait for almost thee weeks to get another one
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Out of the (5) Minitor V's we have so far, I just sent one back to the depot. No speaker audio. they're only a few months old.
redneck_1086

Post by redneck_1086 »

my minitor v did the same thing yesterday with no audio but i did something and it snaped out of it thank god

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”