Dual head CDM retrofit kit from Motorola

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Alan

Dual head CDM retrofit kit from Motorola

Post by Alan »

Has anyone installed the RLN5899 CDM1550 dual head kit?

It comes with everything to convert a CDM1550 to dual head operation.
I have one on order, but havn't seen it yet.

I know that Quick Mount made one, but also heard about all sorts of issues with it.

I wonder if the Motorola is a relabeled Quick mount?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

i certainly hope it is not a relabed quickmount POS!!! i am interested in this one.
jim

Post by jim »

It's a QuickMount that's relabeled. Just like Motorola's low profile antennae are Antenex.

Besides, what's wrong with the QuickMount CDM kits? I've used many with no problems.
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

I am also interested in why you don't like the QuickMounts. I ve 6 in use with no problems.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Only problem I have seen with them is addtional alternator whine in vehicles with alternators > 200 amps and the second mike being live when the first is used. It's more of a Motorola problem since the Radius mikes only switch PTT and not Audio like the older mikes did.

For the price you can almost buy a second CDM but if they are close together then you have to deal with cross muting them to prevent feedback.
Cause Motorola said so that's why
libuff

Post by libuff »

i have a customer that has a MAJOR problem with the quick mount dual head setup. if the vehicle operator doesn't run thru an immediate start up (no delay in initiating the vehicle starter), then the subsequent re polling of the power to teh radios cause the whole setup to fail. both heads go dead... the same radio was re-converted to normal dash mount, and the problem was fixed...

so to say (bit confusing), key into the ignition, into the ON position (usually to cycle the glow plugs on a diesel ambulance, then to the start... the power to the radio in the on position, gets interrupted during the start cycle, when the vehicle is placed back into the ON position, the radio has a seizure and shuts off. need to disconnect the power and re-connect at the radio rear to get to work... real confusing, but real silly...

they've been dealing with quick mount, who said there is no fix to the problem.
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

A start guard will fix that, if it is indeed the problem. But with all the quick mounts we have out there, I have never seen that problem. They just work well.
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

ur part number is wrong
Suddenly You Were Gone
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

MassFD wrote: and the second mike being live when the first is used.
that's my gripe too.
JD

Dual Mount

Post by JD »

I have 9 units out in service , at least 4 of these are in a diesel vehicles. Only one had to have a dc line filter installed, later found out the 200 amp alternator had to be replaced. After this, I removed the filter and the unit worked fine. I have had them out out for 4 + years, not one problem.

If I remember, there were issues with the QuickMount and the remote Motorola head if the head was an "A" version. The heads are now "B' versions.
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

I did have the same problems during starting of the vehicle. I over came them by going back to the basics. Tied the power of the QuickMounts to the same power tap the radios were using, and making sure I had a good ignition point for the ignition sense. I always use a good quality power filter on every installation. One on main power, and one on ignition sense. On a vehicle that is used every day I have yet to have problem with the power draw that the QuickMount unit uses.

The mike issue I thought at the beginning might pose a problem. I took the time and thought out the location where the mike would hang, (The other mike is a handset.) I have had no complaints yet.
JD

CDM

Post by JD »

Just curios,what type of dc line filter do you use. For 100 watt applications I can only find a Motorola unit which is rated at the power.
Garyf629

Post by Garyf629 »

I use Antenex filters. Have had very good luck with them.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”