Recommendation of Windows Task/Process Manager

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ku4zs1

Recommendation of Windows Task/Process Manager

Post by ku4zs1 »

I am looking for something to manage what running processes I have, as I am starting to get a bit too many. There are a number of programs out there that can do this, anyone have a recommendation? I just tried one called The Ultimate Troubleshooter, looks neat, but I feel there is probably better stuff around.
firegood

Post by firegood »

start> run> msconfig. then click the startup tab. You will see all programs and process that run at startup
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Autoruns is very good, kind of like msconfig on steriods:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Nothing automatic about either one though...you need to go through & decide what you want/need running, or not.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

There is a program called WinTasks and another called Process Manager.

Also Advanced Startup Manager to show everything and allow you to edit the entries and create backups in case you delete something you need.

Lots and lots of tools for doing this.

And if you interested in everything that starts up with Internet Explorer then get Hijack This.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Adam

Post by Adam »

What I do (and get paid to do)...

Start > Run: regedit
HKEY\local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\run

clear out all the bs programs (everything usually, minus antivirus and firewall)

Then

Ctrl Alt Del, and browse the list and research the suspicious crap I don't recognize.

Google what you don't understand: svhost.exe, vsmon.exe for example (I ALWAYS trust the results from liutilities.com)

Obviously, if you see sjg873ng0.exe running, google it, and no results show up... It's either a virus or malware.

Download the newest version of Ad-Aware at: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Update the programs files..

BOOT INTO SAFEMODE

Run Ad-Aware on a full scan

Continue eliminating retarded programs in the meantime..

My Philosophy: "If I need it, I'll open it myself." Turn it all off.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”