easy listening

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n8xfj

easy listening

Post by n8xfj »

I'm not sure if this is getting off the topic abit about the software or program situation or not, but is there such a program or software that would work with a computer and a scanner to be able to receive motorola des or the des-xl because that is annoying as heck when they go coded or secure and having to listen to all that white noise like an open squelch or something ? Ive heard alot of rumors of this but have never seen it.
SO was curious if it actually existed or not?
8)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You're talking about a software program which can decode DES encrypted traffic on the fly? Doesn't exist...not to mention it's use would be highly illegal if it did.

Though computer technology has gotten to the point where DES is no longer considered 'safe', to my knowledge we're still at the point where all but the richest of criminals could not crack it in anything under weeks/months. Not to mention the act of trying to decrypt a modulated continuously variable voice signal would add several more layers of complexity to the problem.

In short, no.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n8xfj

Post by n8xfj »

Ok Thanks, I did think they would be such a thing, rumors are always something ususally ends up nothing...I mess around with software and radios same as everyone else and when i heard this, I just had to ask, because you never know whats out there in the electronic world anymore..
But thanks again though.

Return to “Radio Programming”