What type of controller? Suggestions?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

What type of controller? Suggestions?

Post by unlisted »

I am in the process of purchasing a siren/light controller combo. I was going to purchase a used FedSig PA640. I think the deal may of fallen through. :(

So, now I am talking to some other sellers on other sirens. Someone wants to sell me a Mastercom siren.

What would be the pros and cons? Also, does anyone else here have any suggestions on sirens that also control lights? (other models, brands) How much should I expect to pay for used sirens?

I liked the functions of the PA640, (the output options, internal programming, internal flasher) but the Mastercom also looks appealing... Does it basically have the same features as the PA640?? I cannot find much details about it..

And yes I do love the Smart Siren series, I just don't feel like spending the $$$$$ for it right now...
Oh and touchmaster delta are out of the question; so 80's looking. Want something modern looking and clean...

Thanks for all your input and help. If anyone knows where I can get used equipment, (cheap) it would be a great help also.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Personally, my current favorite is the Whelen CenCom. Yes, they're expensive, but the units are feature-packed.

I wouldn't use the internal flasher... that's just more stuff inside a box that can break and is hard to fix. Use an external Tridon flasher, and when it fails, toss it.

If the Cencom is out of your price range, any of the Whelen 295HFS series is a good choice.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

tvsjr wrote:Personally, my current favorite is the Whelen CenCom. Yes, they're expensive, but the units are feature-packed.

I wouldn't use the internal flasher... that's just more stuff inside a box that can break and is hard to fix. Use an external Tridon flasher, and when it fails, toss it.

If the Cencom is out of your price range, any of the Whelen 295HFS series is a good choice.
The centcom i sout of my price range at this time...
The 295 HFS from what I can tell has no light control built in...

I do need siren/ light control in one unit. It is going in a van but it needs to be a clean install.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

tvsjr wrote:Personally, my current favorite is the Whelen CenCom. Yes, they're expensive, but the units are feature-packed.

The centcom is out of my price range at this time...
The 295 HFS from what I can tell has no light control built in...

I do need siren/ light control in one unit. It is going in a van but it needs to be a clean install.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Negative. What you're looking for is either the 295HFS4 or 295HFS5. The 4 is a two-piece unit, the 5 is a one-piece version.
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

hfs4 is a 2 piece remote mount, hfs5 and hfs6 are one piece designs, where the 5 is a low-current and the 6 the highcurrent one, IIRC.

Unitrols are the best sirens ever made. I had one for the longest time and put hundreds of hours of siren and highamperage runtime on it a year without a single incident. Had everything from 480k (which I agree are 80s looking), touchmaster tm-4's to the uber-bitchin omega. Do you want something that looks pretty or do the job? -don't get me wrong, I am all for making it look pretty, but do consider Whelen and Unitrol - over the years and in many vehicles used, these are real champs in terms of holding up over a long period of time and patterns of abuse.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Check out the Carson Sirens SC409 Commander. I just installed one in my Demo vehicle, and it has been very nice. The SC409 has almost identical features as the CenCom, however it is less money and it doesn't need a computer to program it. Check it out: http://www.carson-mfg.com/sc-409-commander.asp

Just a note about the Unitrol, I have never used or installed one. I know one of my local departments bought one to try something different and they complained about the backlighting. Again, Jedi would know better than I because I do not have any experience with them.
John
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Does anyone have any prices I should expect to pay for used equipment? I do have a dealer acct. for new, but I have no idea on used...
dbcomm

Post by dbcomm »

go on ebay and buy a unitrol touchmaster. its full featured and they are regularly online for 150-250 bucks. they're bullet proof!
dBC. Power is our first name®
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Does no one here like the FedSig PA640?
Also, I am looking at a PA650. I don't really like it, but the price is right..
amber4434a

controller

Post by amber4434a »

Get the Unitrol Touchmaster. Who cares what it looks like, it is reliable and has a Yelp tone that means business. Do you want a siren controller that looks good in the console or one that works and moves traffic?
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Well it is going in a display vehicle....
And it needs to be easily concealed from prying eyes...
(not the police)

If I was going for looks only, I'd get a Smart Siren
Last edited by unlisted on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

Here is another question for everyone, Any comments on Dual tone sirens?
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

motosapien wrote:Here is another question for everyone, Any comments on Dual tone sirens?
Unitrol 480k or Unitrol Touchmaster. Owned and operated lots of these for many years as dual-amps, two-tone 200W units. They are the cat's tail and move traffic like no others. Be heard!

SVP's magnum is a decent two tone unit too.
unlisted
was motosapien

Post by unlisted »

I'm getting a FedSig SS2000SS... got a really good deal.... thanks for all the info.
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

What about the SS2000SM? It can look pretty & have dual tone capability with a 80k amp!

Sean Barr
EVConcepts
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

What kind of price range are you looking at?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

The conversion is $20 for the first led, $4.41 for each additional led upwards to $90.56 for an entire keypad conversion of 17 buttons.

Sean
Sean Barr
EVConcepts

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”