Orinoco WiFicard locks up toughbook

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Orinoco WiFicard locks up toughbook

Post by apco25 »

Ok, this has me really irritated because the problem continues even after I did a clean install of win2k.

Problem machine is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 333Mhz I keep this toughbook around as a spare workhorse.

Recently I had to replace my existing orinoco gold card, branded as a lucent/enterasys card. This card worked great with no problems what so ever. Unfortunately, I managed to crush this card by stepping on it after it fell on the floor under the desk.

Replaced it with a current Proxim branded Orinoco Gold 802.11 B/G card. This is a current new sealed card.

Both are/ were PCMCIA cards.

This card has been nothing but a complete hassle locking up the machince when inserted. Computer locks up and fails to load win2k either at the splash screen or logon screen. Intermitantly locks up when inserted after the laptop is fully booted. IT DOES work if I can get past the locking up BS.

I thought some sort of driver conflict might have existed from the previous version orinoco card not being completely removed when de-installed. I did a clean install of win2k and the problem persists.

Any ideas what's going on here, or is this card just not compatible?
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
JimmyL1011

Post by JimmyL1011 »

Could possibly demonic possession.....very few people accept this as a possible option. Perhaps if you took it to the local priest/rabbi.....well, never mind.

I too have a beloved CF-27 Toughbook and bought a Wi-Fi card for it and exactly the same problem: Locked up the CPU, wouldn't access anything, etc. I couldn't make the software progress any further in the recognotion process and was at a loss. I did the right thing: I took it back, got my money and purchased a different mfg/model PCMCIA card and it worked (and continues to work) like a champ. I'm sure there's a logical reason this is like this but who knows? Phase of the Moon, kismet, rabbit's foot? Before you pull your hair out, give it a try. Ya never know.

By the way, I LOVE my venerable CF-27 but I have to admit, when the City installed brand-new CF-29's in all of our cars, it really took the shine off the apple. These things are a pleasure to use and I can only imagine what they cost. Forget Wi-fi, these things are connected to the Verizon network and the throuput is astounding. Our older MDTs were an in-house RF network and we used them for text/data. The '29's are real time access to IP protocol web sites and allow us to bring up Investigative Alerts, mug shots, complete criminal histories, etc.

Good luck

Jim
JimmyL1011

Post by JimmyL1011 »

Could possibly demonic possession.....very few people accept this as a possible option. Perhaps if you took it to the local priest/rabbi.....well, never mind.

I too have a beloved CF-27 Toughbook and bought a Wi-Fi card for it and exactly the same problem: Locked up the CPU, wouldn't access anything, etc. I couldn't make the software progress any further in the recognotion process and was at a loss. I did the right thing: I took it back, got my money and purchased a different mfg/model PCMCIA card and it worked (and continues to work) like a champ. I'm sure there's a logical reason this is like this but who knows? Phase of the Moon, kismet, rabbit's foot? Before you pull your hair out, give it a try. Ya never know.

By the way, I LOVE my venerable CF-27 but I have to admit, when the City installed brand-new CF-29's in all of our cars, it really took the shine off the apple. These things are a pleasure to use and I can only imagine what they cost. Forget Wi-fi, these things are connected to the Verizon network and the throuput is astounding. Our older MDTs were an in-house RF network and we used them for text/data. The '29's are real time access to IP protocol web sites and allow us to bring up Investigative Alerts, mug shots, complete criminal histories, etc.

Good luck

Jim
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Yeah, demonic possession has to be it.

The card now works and boots properly! All I can figure is something got fixed running windows update after I put service pack 4 on.

CF-29's and 18's are cool. I just keep the CF-27 as the workhorse back to everything laptop.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”