Moto Nucleus II AC Mains Power

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

Moto Nucleus II AC Mains Power

Post by fineshot1 »

I hope there are some here that have knowledge of this topic. I may possibly have access to a T5482C Nucleus II and a site complete with antennas and feedline where I could install it. After I got a breif look at it and since it has the 300 Watt Amp I assume it must have 208 two phase for the power supply since there was that type of hubble plug on the end of the AC cord from the cabinet. Here is my problem - the site in question does not have this type of service wired up. Only 110 20A single phase is available at this time. Can the power supply be reconfigured for the 110 20A service?
fineshot1
NJ USA
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Here's what the Nucleus 2 book says:

"The Nucleus II Paging Station is equipped with an ac power supply (90-280 V ac, 47 to 63 Hz) Or a dc-dc power supply (21 to 34.5 V dc or 41 - 72 V dc). All ac power supplies feature automatic range and line frequency selection.

It is recommended that a standard 3-wire grounded electrical outlet be used as the ac source. For a nominal 220 V ac input, the ac source must supply approximately 2.5 A.

Two power supplies are used, which draw a total of 8.5 A at 110 V ac, 63 Hz. Use a circuit breaker rated at 20 A.

For a 24 V dc or 48/60 V dc source, appropriate cabling from the dc power source to the Backplane (located at the rear of station) is supplied."

I'm running mine on 120VAC. There are two AC power plugs (standard US 120V U-ground). When the station is outputting 300 watts, I measured 9.8 amps AC at 120VAC. I don't know how Motorola specs so much less.

Both supplies are required to operate the station at 300 watts output. I found that one was sufficient for 130 watts or lower, but running it that way is probably not recommended. The 100w transmitters only have one power supply.

I've seen three-terminal 120VAC twist-lock plugs used before, so don't assume it's 208/220 just because of the plug. In any case, it seems that the power supplies are like Borg: they will adapt.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Bob M.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

OK Bob - tnx for the info. It will be awhile before I can transport the cabinet to the site(probably several months at least) but will let you all know what the outcome is.....dan n2aym
fineshot1
NJ USA
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

You can remove all the modules fairly easily. The remaining card cage is relatively light and can easily be moved by one person.

A T15 Torx driver removes the top and bottom screws in each module, then they just unplug. You'll have to remove the mini-UHF connector from the exciter (the board between the two power supplies). Depending on the version you have, this can be done before you pull the module or after you slide it out an inch or so. If the modules haven't been removed in 10 years, they will be REAL tight. Wiggle them up and down and be patient but firm. I put some silicone-based contact cleaner on my fingers and wiped the circuit board connections after they were out; that helped them go in a lot easier.

A T30 Torx driver is necessary for the 300w PA. Just make sure there are four screws holding the card cage to the cabinet, then remove the lowest four screws holding the PA to the cabinet. It also just unplugs. I found it was easier to remove the brown coax from the back of the station and leave it connected to the PA, but you can pull it out a few inches and remove the right-angle N connector from the front right corner of the PA, IF you can get your fingers in there. The PA is heavy. I think the entire station weighs about 100 pounds.

By the way, I've seen old computer systems use twist-lock plugs in 120VAC situations mainly to keep the plug from falling out of the wall. So depending on how it's wired, your Nuke might easily run on 120VAC too. I guess it depends on the wire gauge that's used. Since mine had ordinary 120VAC U-ground plugs on it, I just plugged them into a power strip and will plug the strip into the wall outlet. That gives me additional outlets for the two 120VAC fans that are on the back of mine. Some stations use four DC fans on the rear door.

Bob M.
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

My Nucleus runs on 120v all day long without a problem. I'm only running mine at 180W right now though so I dont blow up the duplexer I'm using. :o

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

A couple of weeks ago, my neighborhood had a big power glitch. All the UPSes at my house all went nuts for about three seconds. The line voltage meter went from 100 to 140 and back to 120. Nothing else at my house seemed to care.

At my 900 MHz repeater site, the Nuke rode right through it. The APC SmartUPS1000 that runs the rest of my repeater (Astron RS20A supply) for backup purposes, and another commercial receiver, just rode through it. We never lost a beat.

Another UPS that runs a similar receiver apparently burnt itself up.

A UHF repeater at the site seemed to lose touch with reality. It had to have its power pulled for a few seconds; once it was plugged back in, it worked just fine.

Many Nucleus power supplies were made by Onan (the generator people). They ought to know their stuff. The supplies seem to be robust AND bullet-proof.

Bob M.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I run mine at 350 watts hardwired to tx continuous.
I use as a marine weather station so it just repeats a meassage that is updated every now and the by the weather service.
It has been shut down once in the last year and that was to move the station 12 feet. Powered up again and been running ever since.
I have 2 spares if it smokes so I'm not worried if it explodes.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”