Panasonic Tough book install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ScannerDan

Panasonic Tough book install

Post by ScannerDan »

I would like to know what equipment is required to install a Tough book inside of a vehicle? What model of tough books are most Police/Fire department using and with what features do they come with? Also, what hardware/software is needed for AVL with GPS/

Thanks

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Well, I can say I don't know that much about tough books, but I can tell you I highly recommend Jotto desk for mounting solutions. I also use a Garmin GPS 18 USB edition (http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/) and love it. Just my two cents!
wb4bsd
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000v, MTS2000v, MTS2000u

Post by wb4bsd »

I have a CF-28 with a touch screen i got on ebay for about 500$..

Most police agencies either use this model or the CF-29.

I havent mounted mine in my suburband yet, but plan on it as funds come available.

I also have a garmin GPS 3+ that i am going to use with it..

oh, those CF-29 toughbooks are still selling for about 2000.00$...
Rusty
(I no longer have nextel. I now have an iPhone)
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

what is the best tough book and price ranges?
JMR
KC2QVO
N1CTF

Post by N1CTF »

You dont need a fast machine to do the job... I have a Panasonic CF-71 Toughbook I purchased on E-Bay for $150.00. It is a PII, and I have it running W2k stripped down. Use NTFS so you dont have problems with ungraceful shutdowns. If you disable all the services it will run plenty fast enough. I am using DeLorme Street Atlas 2004 and a really old gen 1 Motorola GPS receiver. It has been working perfectly for years. Use a Targus DC-DC converter from Circuit City/BestBuy. I use a Gamber Johnson mount in the F250, and it takes a real beating. The mount was under $200, but that was in 1993.

N1CTF
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I have had several CF-27's. These at the time were pretty universal in vehicles. P2's mostly, but take a good hit...repeatedly.

Mine usually runs just fine running APRS/Mapping/Internet/etc. Makes a good programming laptop and parts are plenty. Easy to swap stuff out if you kill it.

If you can get one with a backlit/waterproof keyboard, that's even better.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

N1CTF wrote: I am using DeLorme Street Atlas 2004 and a really old gen 1 Motorola GPS receiver. N1CTF

So what were some of the OEM GPS and tracking/mapping receivers & software used in a toughbook vehicle install ?

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”