SPS 660 Help...

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadShop
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

SPS 660 Help...

Post by RadShop »

Just bought a used SPS 600 (Now known as CSP 660 ) off one of my buddies. Problem is that it's "stuck" in double flash mode, and when volatage is applied to the lead to change patterns, it will go to single flash but won't stay there.

How do I rectify this, if it's possible at all?

The only thing that I can think of that could go wrong, is if I don't have a steady enough power supply, and it's drooping poorly, which in turn doesn't allow me to change the pattern.

Not that it matters too much, double flash is effective enough for what I'm going to use it for... (Non automotive install, setting up burglar alarm with strobes, thought I might try this :P )
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

Hmmm, It must be REALLY old. the SPS660 should have comet flash, with double flash as a second pattern. The old supplies are not like the new ones, the patterns were selected by latching 12v +, and not a momentary 12v+ signal.

I'm also sending you a PM on another topic!
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Are you using a 13.8 volt power supply that will run 10 amps continously? Also like TWL911 said, it is not a Scan-Lock power supply, the pattern changing wire is a latching circuit which must have 12 volts continously. Whelen has a tech support department too.
John
RadShop
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by RadShop »

TWL911 wrote:Hmmm, It must be REALLY old. the SPS660 should have comet flash, with double flash as a second pattern. The old supplies are not like the new ones, the patterns were selected by latching 12v +, and not a momentary 12v+ signal
It does have Comet Flash, I just don't know how to get it out of double flash! It's got 10 or 12 different flash patterns, but I can only get it to stay in double flash, or go to single flash while I connect the pattern lead.
Whelen has a tech support department too.
Yeah, I know... I spent the better part of 45 minutes waiting to talk to someone.

:cry:
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

If the label says "SPS660" I am 99% sure it only has 2 patterns, as I'm under the impression that: 1. scanlock was not available until the introduction of the competitor series. ie. CPS660, and 2. The 90 watt supply at the time was the UPS690 with 8 available patterns, and a BIG difference in $$$$ from the 660.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Yes TWL you are correct, I have a SPS660 and it only has Comet or Double. It sounds to me like the supply is damaged.
John

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”