OT: TV & VCR repair

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

OT: TV & VCR repair

Post by arlojanis »

Is there a web site for TV & VCR repair like batboard-batlabs?
"The world runs on radio."
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

http://www.Walmart.com prices are falling every day :)
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

There used to be outlets for VCR components you could buy, like pulleys, belts and springs and other related materials, but with the advent of the disposable everything culture, those places, like quality service, have disappeared into the mist.

I have not seen any sites related to servicing this equipment in a long time, and I wondered the same....are parts available, possibly.

Like video heads, AC heads and so on....don't forget the cassette decks for the old G-chassis, and the tape loading arms and hall effect sensors for the supply and take-up reels.

Damn, I am SOOO happy I don't do that work anymore!

T.V sets are a huge pain....try telling a 'dumb' customer that their TV has more inside it than a few knobs and a power cord and screen.

Then try explaining about Chroma, bloom, saturation, and degaussing, and the biggest 'HUH' comes when you mention 'Pincushions', and not the type aunt Mertle uses for sewing.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

On a side note, you might try Thompson electronics consumer products, they may have leads to those sites.

I can't even remember the site names, let alone the actual companies that may still have this stuff available.

Matsushita, Thompson(thomson) or however it's spelled...

Mitsubishi electric or heavy industries....

RCA...

G.E...

I just dug into an OLD files...here's what I came up with:

MCM Electronics:
800 Congress park Drive, Centerville, OH. 45459-4072

Address #2:

MCM Electronics
650 Congress Park Drive, Dayton, OH. 45459-9955
FAX: 1.513.434.6959

AND

Premium parts:

AND

G.M Popkey
2035 Larsen Road, Green bay, WI. 54303
also:
114 East Oak Street
Wausau, WI. 54401

I am NOT certain these numbers are still valid, this dates back to 1989/90.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

MCM Electronics is the only one i can think of for parts, i used to get their five pound catalog every few months. Haven't received one in a while though.

I have to agree though, with your average VCR going for $30 at Wally World and even DVD players in that price range its just not worth putting the time and money into repairing them.

About the only thing i would repair is a large expensive tv, and even then you have to factor in age, if its more than five years old pitch it and get a new one, it's worth the upgrade.

Throw away society wins again...
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
mike m

Post by mike m »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tv-service/

Yes there is,

It is on yahoo groups above

Mike

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”