Strobe light question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pump3

Strobe light question

Post by Pump3 »

Hi I was wondering if somebody could tell me what will happen if I run 12V into a hide-a-way strobe light without a strobe power supply, thanks
eboe

Post by eboe »

if you're lucky... nothing.

you need the power supply.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Strobe tubes do not run off of 12vDC. They require a cathod, antoode and trigger wire (all spelling aside of course). The power supply bumps up the 12vDC to a fairly high voltage to run the tube (ie, don't stick your tonge on the end unless you want to go into afib).
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Ok I understand, thanks for the help
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Pj wrote: (ie, don't stick your tonge on the end unless you want to go into afib).
but don't worry, the afib won't kill you anywhere near as fast as the v-fib will!
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could recomend a good power supply for just 2 strobes located in the 2 front corners, Thanks
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

Whelen CSP-220, or CSP-240: depending on how much you want to spend, and your power output requirements. The Tomar 400 series are decent little 2 outlet supplies as well.

as with anything, "you get what you pay for!"
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Can you give me a price on those units, just so I have an idea. Thanks
firemanfox

Post by firemanfox »

just a personal opinion from past experiances, if you are buying for what you have now at least double it for future upgrades. i.e. buy at least a 4 strobe I would probably go with one of the whelen 6 strobe packs with 2x2x2 switching or 2x4 switching not a whole lot more money and allows for expansion later
Fire Department Lieutenant
squashie8

Power supply side note

Post by squashie8 »

Just a side note, but I believe the CSP power supplies are "unregulated". So try not to run 2 strobes in larger power supplies such as the Whelen CSP660 (60watt 6 Outlet).

I also wouldn't recommend the CSP690 even with 4 strobes because it will pump too much power to the strobe causing way too much heat and therefore, melting the the plastic in the light assembly.

We haven't had too many problems with the CSP660 and 4 strobes except the occasional bad bulb. Just try to allow for at least a 1" clearance in the light assemblies. :D

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”