Explain this one... Windows activation

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

alex
Administrator

Explain this one... Windows activation

Post by alex »

OK.

So i'm trying to blow back an XP installation to use with Bootcamp. I have the install (it's an image that I use) and it is crying that it wants to go through activation.

Here's the kicker.

As far as I know, it's a corporate edition. It's an image that is used on at least 400 laptops, which is mostly the same hardware. It's my understanding that the consumer version of XP requires [re]activation if you change hardware platforms.

This is all fine and good. I have all the serial numbers, registration, all that bs. It can be activated for all I care.

However, I can't get in to the partition because of activation to INSTALL the network drivers to ACTIVATE this POS.

Am I correct to assume that if XP Crop ed is used, then there should NEVER have activation requirements, even if hardware changes?

Anyone know?

My foot is going to go where it doesn't belong if they didn't use corporate editions on these laptops.

-Alex
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I have never seen Corp needing activation, but that's because it's removed from the installation process completely, which is why everyone pirated it because you didn't have to activate.

If it's requiring activation that it sure as heck isn't a Corp version.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
MotoMax300
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by MotoMax300 »

There is an easy bypass for this.......... If you're interested in that, contact me offlist as I am NOT going to post it.

As an MCSE tech.... CORP Doesn't ask for it, ever... period.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I will have to ask around and see what fruitcake decided it was a good idea to distribute an image... and didnt use corporate ed.

i had a feeling this was the case....

thanks guys.

-Alex
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

All you should have to do is click activate by phone and call Microsoft for an activation id if you can't get the network drivers installed. That is, provided its a legit cd key in use.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I need to talk to my IT before I do that. I don't want to step on toes. It's a legit copy, I just don't know what they cloned it off of, and what licensing stuff. E.g. I don't want to get the company in a world of *** without asking first.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”