Scan on basic GTX portable

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W6JK

Scan on basic GTX portable

Post by W6JK »

Can anyone tell me how to activate Scan on a basic, no display no keyboard GTX portable?

Jeff
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

"Use The Force, Luke. Use The Force!"

It would certainly appear to be difficult with no buttons or switches of any kind. I do know that on radios WITH a scan button, you first have to put the channels you want to scan in a scan list through software. Maybe if you do that, the radio will automatically scan, although I can't figure out how you would know what channel it stopped on.

My guess is that there is no way to make it scan.

Bob M.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

kcbooboo wrote:My guess is that there is no way to make it scan.
I've reached the same contusion. And yet, the scan lists, they are in there... It even has a Lid Delete button on the side. It'd be great if you could reassign the Monitor button, but alas, they didn't think of that.

'JK
Al

Post by Al »

I've got a "basic" GTX portable, and according to the RSS help, in radio-wide screen you have the choice of selecting roam/scan. If you select scan, the top button becomes scan on/off. I don't have the portable here in front of me, so I don't remember if it even has side buttons. When you select scan, the scan type is fixed at talkgroup, and I'm not sure that it will even scan conventional personalities. I'll take a look when I have the radio in front of me, but I think I remember having it scan conventional personalities.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Using the lower side button, if it exists, makes sense, as it would otherwise be used to change menu items on the keypad models. But not having one, I can't verify that it does what you want.

Bob M.
Al

Post by Al »

After checking on the information that I posted above, I find that the top side button does indeed activate and deactivate scan on my GTX PP.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

I somehow failed to notice additional posts in this thread. Thanks for pointing it out, Bob! I need to go play with my radio some more...

Jeff
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

OK, I can now confirm that the top button scans on my radios. I'm not sure why I didn't think so before... So what does the second button do? I thought it was nuisance delete, but it seems not. Monitor, maybe? Hard to tell when it doesn't open the squelch.

Jeff
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The service manual for the regular portable (with the display/keypad) calls the upper one "MON", the lower one "EMERG". I know the lower one is used to select/activate menu items, and emits a low BOOP tone when pressing it would have no effect. Strange that they didn't keep MON on the upper button on the basic model.

I guess you need to verify that the lower button really is MON by feeding a signal without PL/DPL and pushing the button. Without a display, it's gotta be hard to tell what's going on with that radio. I guess at least you have a bi-color LED on the top; that's better than nothing at all.

Bob M.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Some time last night my subconscious worked out that the MTX9000 that does talkaround (I've only found one) is set up not to TX tone when doing so. Thus it was simple this morning to work this out. The second button is for Monitor (CSQ, not open squelch), and it toggles. It works with or without scan being active, but the only way to tell what state it's in without another radio is to cycle power so you know it's off. At least the Scan flashes yellow at you so you know it's active.

Jeff
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

W6JK wrote:Some time last night my subconscious worked out that the MTX9000 that does talkaround (I've only found one) is set up not to TX tone when doing so. Thus it was simple this morning to work this out. The second button is for Monitor (CSQ, not open squelch), and it toggles. It works with or without scan being active, but the only way to tell what state it's in without another radio is to cycle power so you know it's off. At least the Scan flashes yellow at you so you know it's active.

Jeff
I must have two oddball MTX9000s as both T/A and conv. work and it does talkaround with PL and DPL also.

I have all 10 channels filled with TX/RX PLs and talkaround does transmit a tone or DPL while in T/A mode as confirmed by my IFR1500.

The screens for channel data entry should reveal this as well when you enter not only the main repeater frequencies and offset frequencies, but will also bring up a third display in the channel screen for talkaround, inluding PL/DPL.

So each channel screen should display the following:

Transmit frequency, Receive frequency, Talkaround frequency
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Sure, programming talkaround is no problem. It's having the VCO lock that's questionable. A lot of radios just won't do it without persuasion, and that seems to include most of the ones being dumped on eBay. I've accumulated quite a few of them. Fortunately, there are threads on here talking about how to fix it, so I'll be looking into that once it rises to the top of the queue.

Jeff

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”