2000 explorer, new full track-mount console install, pics!

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc0jar
What radios do you own?: M1225, P1225, HT1250, ICV8000

2000 explorer, new full track-mount console install, pics!

Post by kc0jar »

Got tired of having my 14" consolidator sitting where my cupholders used to be. Took me about 8 hours for this install. the worst part was taking the factory console out, it had rear air and everything. So 5938243 screws later, I put this bad boy in. If you want pictures of more how it's mounted or anything let me know. It's a 32" piece of track. The back is mounted to a 98+ crown vic hump mount that is bolted to the floor. The front is held down with the metal angled skirting that is attached to the track. The track mount laptop stand is awesome! it's been recovered with foam pad and new velcro. The actual console has a 2 hole power outlet and a DC streamlight chager attached to the front. Then inside the console, from front to back is the large style cupholders, cubby hole for chew stash, map light with dimmer, UTM4, ICv8000 ham radio, radioshack pro2096 digital scanner, pro2066 scanner, kenwood TK930 800mhz radio. On the back of the console is mounted a really nice fold-up armrest I got for free, and on the very back is a Cobra 75WXST CB radio, the one with everything in the microphone. I usually leave it behind the passenger seat until I need it.

New power lead installed was a 5 guage wire fused at 100 amps at the battery. Run through the firewall into a distrubution block. single 5 guage in, dual 8 guage out. One 8 guage wire goes to a fuse block inside the front of the console for everything in the console. The other 8 guage wire goes back to my sub in the back.

Antennas are: fender mount nmo mount CB antenna, passenger front roof 800mhz phantom for tk930, center NMO mounted 1/4 vhf for 2m, center mounted 1/4 800mhz for 2096, window mounted scanner antenna for 2066. The window mount is being replaced with a drivers front side roof mounted phantom antenna, which is just sitting in my room right now.

Lights are: WL28 on front roof rack, TD39 on rear rack, 4 star DXL3's or whatever they are. 2 of them are clear in the back window, mounted wide. The other 2 are amber mounted above the rear license plate.

And again, yes, I know I'm a complete whacker. If you need a reason that I have lights, I'll tell you that I work security and do storm chasing, so that way you have something to :o about me be a whacker for.

I know, I need to clip the zip ties too :)

tensi0n
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by tensi0n »

Do you ever use the UTM4 (siren)? :P Nice install.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Hey, this is against forum rules- there's not a Motorola 1 in there! :o :o :o
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
kc0jar

Post by kc0jar »

Rick Rock wrote:Hey, this is against forum rules- there's not a Motorola 1 in there! :o :o :o
w00ps. There's a MTX8000 on the passenger floorboard that you can't see, if that counts! :)

No, I don't ever use the UTM4 for anything other than turning the lights on and off. I reaaaally don't need to go to jail. I'm trying to figure out how to de-activate the siren fuctions, but be able to still use the radio re-broadcast.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Nice Job
John
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You might be a redneck if... you've got a special pocket in your radio console just to store your Skoal. :lol:
Scannerbuff922

It's not against anything, Wutever the Forum Police want to

Post by Scannerbuff922 »

Rick Rock wrote:Hey, this is against forum rules- there's not a Motorola 1 in there! :o :o :o
Here comes the forum police, telling people that theres no motorola, But if ya think about it were in the Vehicle Warning Equipment board where there no discusion of radio's just Vehicle Warning Equipment, Thats why they made this boardroom Rick Rock
kc0jar

Post by kc0jar »

tvsjr wrote:You might be a redneck if... you've got a special pocket in your radio console just to store your Skoal. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I thought Rick Rock was kidding???
John
tvsjr

Re: It's not against anything, Wutever the Forum Police want

Post by tvsjr »

Scannerbuff922 wrote:
Here comes the forum police, telling people that theres no motorola, But if ya think about it were in the Vehicle Warning Equipment board where there no discusion of radio's just Vehicle Warning Equipment, Thats why they made this boardroom Rick Rock
Waaah. Want a little cheese with that whine?
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Nice install! I would dig a little deeper on disabling the siren functions just in case. I wonder, if one had the schematics of that unit could you just cut the output of the tone generator before it goes to the audio amp, that way even if one of the buttons was pushed and the siren activated it's cut off internally anyway. That would leave the PA and ExRD functions alone. Just a thought, without seeing a schematic i have to idea. But i know a while back there was a similar discussion with a Whelen model i think it was, and it was a quick and easy job of cutting a couple traces inside, if the siren function ever needed to be restored a couple jumpers soldered in and its back to work.

I bet it was a PITA to remove the stock stuff to make room!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
tensi0n
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by tensi0n »

I have a UTM4 myself and it's pretty easy to just take off the cover and find which wires you would need to cut. However, the tricky part would be just disabling the siren tones like kb0nly said.

Maybe this link will help: http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/ins ... N-UTM4.pdf
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well if you can just disable the siren switch that would be one way. But after looking at the manual there is a siren kill connection, it's used in conjuction with the gear select on the vehicle, at least that's how i understand it. Screw terminal number 14, when the vehicle is put in park it kills the siren and keeps it from operating i think. That would make it a one wire solution and couldn't hurt trying it, if that keeps the siren from operation regardless then you don't have to dig into it. Otherwise it would just be a matter of desoldering a couple connections looking at the schematics.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

From the UTM4 Installation Manual available at:

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/ins ... nstall.pdf

I looked up the UPKM-1 on their website, all that module contains is an relay to isolate the vehicle wiring from the siren unit wiring. When the vehicles gear select is in park it provides a ground to the UPKM-1 relay coil, the common of the relay is connected to ground and the NO terminal of the relay is connected to number 14 Siren Kill.

All you need to do for your application is jumper pin 14 to ground to keep the Siren Kill active no matter what and your done!

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

SafetyLighting wrote:I thought Rick Rock was kidding???
I was, someone's just got their panties twisted too tightly!
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
kc0jar

Post by kc0jar »

kb0nly wrote:From the UTM4 Installation Manual available at:

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/ins ... nstall.pdf

I looked up the UPKM-1 on their website, all that module contains is an relay to isolate the vehicle wiring from the siren unit wiring. When the vehicles gear select is in park it provides a ground to the UPKM-1 relay coil, the common of the relay is connected to ground and the NO terminal of the relay is connected to number 14 Siren Kill.

All you need to do for your application is jumper pin 14 to ground to keep the Siren Kill active no matter what and your done!
Absolutely awesome! Looks like I'll be installing 1 simple wire from terminal 14 to ground to solve the problem. Thanks so much!
familo77

Post by familo77 »

Wow, nice rims. I'm work for a three letter federal agency and am currently stationed in Iowa. Our stuff isn't this cool. Nice ride.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

a PIExplorer? ruhhh....
familo77

Post by familo77 »

thebigphish wrote:a PIExplorer? ruhhh....
lol, you beat me to that one...
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Another option, instead of diabling the siren function, may be to find a different switch panel, like a Federal SW400, (slide switch with 4 rocker switches), or a Code 3 V-Con Halfpack, which is only about an inch tall, and has a terminal strip in the back - instead of flying leads. The Code 3 has a slide switch with 5 push-buttons. I'm sure someone in the Emergency Service community would be happy to buy your siren for more than a new switch pack would cost. Capitalize!
Mike
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

Nice V8000. I love that little radio! I stuck mine in the factory armrest/console in my 02 exploder and couldn't be happier with it. 75 watts with the VHF public safety band TX modification.. you cant beat it. Nice install, I would loose the PI sticker though. Im more for the what the hell is that?... no badges/emblems look on vehicles.
jantman

Post by jantman »

My dream console... complete with 3 tins of mint!

-KC2OZU
kc0jar

Post by kc0jar »

Just an update since this thread got dug out of nowhere for some reason :D

I uninstalled the siren and now just use a Federal SW200 switchbox. Also ditched the Pro2096 because I moved and didn't need it, and bought a BCT15 which I love. Black wheels are gone because the tires wore out, and it was cheaper to buy 15" tires for the factory rims. (black rims are for sale hint hint :D)

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”