Minitor 3 Screw

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Minitor 3 Screw

Post by Tron »

I have a M-3 where the rear cover metric allen screw head is rounded out and won't come out. It must really be in tight! Is there any trick to get it out as I need to replace a broken knob..well you know, the rubber has fallen off of it. :-( Has anyone had any luck replacing the entire knob w/o taking the pager apart?

Tron
"Where the Old Soo crosses the New Soo, Duplainville, Wisconsin"
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

I've had pretty good luck removing stripped allen screws by using a torx driver. Find a torx that you can get to fit and apply a little pressure while turning.

If you just need to replace the rubber, align the knob and while pushing down, tuck the sides of the knob into the surrounding plastic ring using a small flat blade screwdriver. Replacement knobs are available from Motorola - P/N 7862939B.
Rich
Tron

Post by Tron »

OK, I'll give it a try. Looks like new knobs have some glue to hold the rubber to the plastic shaft. Given the use/abuse these take, will just pushing it on hold it tight?

Tron
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

I've replaced quite a few and haven't had any recalls. You can always add a drop of glue if you want. Changing the knob assembly is much harder than replacing the rubber cap. I'd go with a new front housing if the plastic is broken. Part number 1562939B01 - list $17 or a refurb kit which is the entire housing plus an extra rubber cap - REX4683A $38.50.
Rich
Tron

Success

Post by Tron »

Success.................The torx idea didn't work....couldn't find the right size to fit my hole. I then took a left hand drill bit and drilled out the screw head..and in the process, the screw finally backed out. Whew!!!! Got the bit from my friendly True Value Hwde store.

Tron

Also, are front cases available with the SV type knob installed instead of the regular one?
MOTO_LR

Minitor III Front Housing with SV Mode Knob

Post by MOTO_LR »

Part # 1580384N61 Minitor III Front Housing with Knobs,
Mode Knob is SV.

Bob
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

You can also get a refurb kit for the SV Minitor III - REX4684A - $32.50 list
Rich

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”