XTS5000 receiver question?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wcvfd7200

XTS5000 receiver question?

Post by wcvfd7200 »

I noticed that my vhf XTS5000's receiver doesn't seem to be as sensitive as my HT1000 or P1225.

I have the radio set as a scanner for now (analog, conventional, carrier squelch) and notice that when a particular 2-tone page is broadcast, the receiver will not open, but the HT1000 and P1225 will (all radios are programmed the same). In other words, I don't hear the paging tone, just the dispatcher's voice. Sometimes I will hear the tone, but only for a split second, then the receiver closes. I have tried holding down the monitor button when a page is received.... same problem....only part of the tone is heard or none at all, just voice. There are more than ten different paging tones being used on this frequency, but this problem only seems to occur with certain 2-tone pages. Could something be wrong, or do I just need a receiver sensitivity adjustment?

Any input would be of great help!
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i'd offer that QC II was just released for the 5k with firmware v8.

i'm sure it's not perfect.

for waht it's worth, feed this to your sales rep so that maybe - just maybe, he'll email the product group.

i doubt anything is wrong with your radio.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

He's not trying to decode the tones, he's just listening in CSQ mode, and the voice is coming through fine. I'd say it's more of a problem with the DSP processing the low tones properly...perhaps he has an early firmware version?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wcvfd7200

Post by wcvfd7200 »

I'm using host/dsp version 6.0. The radio is not equipped with a QCII decoder as that option is not availale for version 6.0.

Wavetar is right, I'm not trying to decode the tones (like a minitor pager), just monitoring via CSQ. It is strange that the HT1000 and P1225 will pick up the tones just fine, but not the XTS5000.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

ahh, misunderstood the question.

upgrade your HOST / DSP

it's worth every penny

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
wcvfd7200

Post by wcvfd7200 »

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I may have to upgrade....been meaning to do it anyway, just can't find the time.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

use mdc?
Are the tones you're not hearing 1200 or 1800 hz by chance?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
RKG

Post by RKG »

I have heard of XTS5000 portables not hearing console "Alert 1" tones (steady 1Khz), though the same radios would hear "Alert 2" tones (series of 1 KHz beeps). I, too, believe that it is an issue of how the DSP handles pure tones.

The only personal experience I had with the issue was solved when we turned down the deviation at which the tones were sent. After that, Alert 1 came through without issue.
wcvfd7200

Post by wcvfd7200 »

TPG and RKG,

Thanks for the responses.

TGP, I'm not sure what the Hz/KHz is but the tones are fairly high pitched. Also, I am using a vhf Motorola antenna with the yellow dot color code. Do you think the antenna could be an issue?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I have been out of town.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I have noticed that on various Moto radios that certain tones will be muted. I never dug further to figure out what freq the tones were at. TPG's theory about the 12/18 tones would make sense, but I know tones outside of that range have also been muted. Don't know the reason behind it. There was a thread about the X9000's doing this a couple of years ago, and I don't think that anyone came up with an answer then either.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Pj wrote:I have noticed that on various Moto radios that certain tones will be muted. I never dug further to figure out what freq the tones were at. TPG's theory about the 12/18 tones would make sense, but I know tones outside of that range have also been muted. Don't know the reason behind it. There was a thread about the X9000's doing this a couple of years ago, and I don't think that anyone came up with an answer then either.
I have fond out that often tones on securenet radios are muted that are somehow detected as securenet transmissions; especially with 3KHz this happens very often, as 2*3=6KHz tells the securenet module to take over. As ist can not find anything to decode, it just mutes.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”