M1225 VHF,no recieve

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n5tbu

M1225 VHF,no recieve

Post by n5tbu »

No schematics here,radio transmitts but no receive,has audio.
Any common problems to look for?
mod
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Won't receive at all even when blasting a large signal in? Almost certainly the 1st local oscillator crystal is bad.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Thanks,I should have mentioned I had changed that crystal but still no receive.
mod
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Which crystal did you change? What kind of test equipment do you have available?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I don't have it in front of me at the moment,but it was the crystal behind the vol control layed on it's side and the case soldered to the board.
I have typical small shop equipment.
mod
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Does it transmit ok, that is does it pass audio ok on transmit? Just curious, because if you cant get it fixed i'll buy the dumb thing, i need another 1225 for a repeater project.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Yes,it does transmit fine......it is for a customer,so if I can't reair it,I need to keep it for spare parts for them.
mod
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

n5tbu wrote:I don't have it in front of me at the moment,but it was the crystal behind the vol control layed on it's side and the case soldered to the board.
I have typical small shop equipment.
mod
The 16.8MHz one? That's the reference oscillator crystal. The one you'll want to check is Y52 behind the speaker(closest to the 455KHz filters), it's a 44.395MHz crystal, if you have a service monitor or spectrum analyser you can sniff around it for the signal.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Thanks Jack,I will look into that wednesday morn,44.394??? weired IF! No wonder i MISSED IT!.
MOD
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The 44.395 xtal is oscillating rather strongly. Still no receive with the IFR on
highest setting.
mod
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I would try injecting the IF freqs, 455KHz and 44.85MHz, not sure where to tell you to inject it, maybe you can couple enough signal around the filters for it to work.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I tried that also....nothing!
mod
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You're not trying to feed the I.F. frequencies into the radio's antenna port, are you? If you're getting nothing even when injecting 455KHz in the area of the small, square, plastic covered ceramic filters, then I'd say your receiver I.C. is bad.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

No,I injected in the area of the 455's.
Does the book give typical voltages of the reciever IC pins?
I am suspecting an open trace or plated thru hole,do to the vibration from the tractor it was on.
I do appreciate all the help!
Is the rec IC the 14 pin with "14066b" on it?

mod
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

No, a 4066 is a CMOS switch, it's used to switch between the narrow and wide filters. You could try changing the bandwidth, maybe one of the 455 filters is bad, switching bandwidth would use the others.. it's a long shot though..

The receive IC is the one next to that, 32 pins,probably a little harder to deal with :(
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I tried programming narrow and wide for that test first......not the 455's.
I did see that larger IC but was hoping it was something else! I wish I had some voltages to compare it to before I attempt to change that IC. I really hate to be a "parts changer"tech!
mod

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”