MTS2000 A-B-C switch

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wicho
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Realistic Space Command

MTS2000 A-B-C switch

Post by Wicho »

Anyone ever had one that will only do two positions instead of three?

Thanks,
Wicho.
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Well, they can be programmed to only act like 2 positions.
Like pos 1 pl enabled pos 2&3 pl disabled. That is just an example
that would act like 2 positions. Do you mean 2 functions or
really only 2 physical positions. Never heard of that unless some
SP version or someone has scabbed in a 2 pos switch :x Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
Wicho
Batboard $upporter

Post by Wicho »

Thanks Phrawg. I mean only do two physical positions.

I just bought one on ebay, supposed to be brand new, yada yada yada. I'm starting to think it might me a different radio in an MTS2000 case. When I throw it in service mode, the display (it's a Model I) flashes the right info, but something just doesn't feel right.

:roll:

Who knows, maybe it's just been re-cased and like you said, someone worked on the radio and threw in the wrong switch. I'll have to play more with the radio when I get home.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

Wicho wrote:Thanks Phrawg. I mean only do two physical positions.

I just bought one on ebay, supposed to be brand new, yada yada yada. I'm starting to think it might me a different radio in an MTS2000 case. When I throw it in service mode, the display (it's a Model I) flashes the right info, but something just doesn't feel right.

:roll:

Who knows, maybe it's just been re-cased and like you said, someone worked on the radio and threw in the wrong switch. I'll have to play more with the radio when I get home.
theres no model number when you read the software? or tag?
because I have a ABC thats broke! And only does BC
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I had one that would only go A-B, guess they can be a bit fragile.
Wicho
Batboard $upporter

Post by Wicho »

There's a tag on the radio and it looks legit, but I haven't had a chance to read it with RSS. That will have to wait until tonight. Time to pop it out of the case to have a look see at the inside...

Thanks for the input guys - I'll let you know what happens.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

check your pm's...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The switches tend to go bad, especially if you don't use them much. The local PD switched systems a few years back & in the process went from 16 channels with no ABC switch function at all, to using the full 48 channels with the ABC switch set for zones. Had to replace the switch in about 40 of the 179 radios. Most wouldn't work in the C position, but there were some which wouldn't work in A or B too.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

And thats not mentioning the ones where the toggle falls out completely
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

I hear from 1 or 2 people. That the MTX9000 ABC switch I have on my 900Mhz. Its hell to remove one from another jedi or its a pain to put one on even new in a MTX9000?
I've worked on ABC switchs for HT's MT's JT's am I missing something with the one I have? H01WCC4DB3AN is the model I have..with a broken ABC switch. I haven't gotten around to opening this old puppy yet.
But did hex her in the ham bands...
any comments? Jim Reid
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

should be pretty easy with the right tools.
I've done loads of MTS2000/MTX8000/MTX838 and they are all the same.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

Bruce1807 wrote:should be pretty easy with the right tools.
I've done loads of MTS2000/MTX8000/MTX838 and they are all the same.
thats what I thought. The tools are at the shop. Don't know why someone in the tech./repair business, (25 yrs. I did lots also) would say to me the model I have is a tough one to install .....

Post by AEC »

The repair is quite easy, using a vacuum pump to suck out the solder, it's only three small contacts, but you do have to remove the controls from the plastic housing which is more complex than the repair.

Just flip over the flex, desolder and make sure the holes are clear and pop in a replacement switch.

But THAT switch is CHEEZY to say the least, and go south often.

Too bad the body is plastic and not very rugged.

Also, I have come to find that the 'C' position is not as 'solid' as the remaining positions, the 'C' selection tends to barely 'click' into place unlike the 'A' and 'B' positions for some odd reason.

I have two MTX9000 and both are clean of debris and both do the same thing, but work at least.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Actually the model one is easy especially when compared to a top display
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bruce1807 wrote:Actually the model one is easy especially when compared to a top display
Perhaps you're thinking XTS? It doesn't matter what MTX/S model you're dealing with, the ABC switch is contained in the "controls flex assembly"...it's not a part of the front housing/display assembly at all.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Wicho
Batboard $upporter

Post by Wicho »

Well, it's an MTS2k alright, just has a bad swith I guess.

Jim2121, thanks for the info on where to get them!
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

Anyone have the part number to order the A/B/C switch? I have one here that went bad on me, won't work in C. Also, if I remember looking before there was a tool to open the radio. Can't seem to find the demo that showed doing that and the tool, any help there and with that part number also?
Thanks, Ryan
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

I've got the parts diagram, and the A-B-C switch is shown as item 28, but I'll be danged if there is no P/N given for item 28 in the parts list?

I have changed this switch out once, component level. In the real world, for the average Joe with average equipment <u>IT IS A PITFA</u>, I'll never attempt it again. Now, as I mentioned, I only have average equipment and BIG fingers, your mileage may vary...

If anyone needs the switch, I have 3 or 4 used available in the "controls flex assembly". You will need to remove them from the used assembly I send you, or just replace the whole assembly with yours (much, much easier). $19.00 Parcel Post. PayPal accepted, no surcharge...

Thank you,
Last edited by Terry_Glover on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Terry
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

ayaresr wrote: Also, if I remember looking before there was a tool to open the radio. Thanks, Ryan
That part is really VERY, VERY easy, even Motorola does not specify any special tool (just a small "flat blade screwdriver"). All you need is a small flat blade screwdriver inserted into the slot at the bottom, rear of the housing. It takes all of 2 or 3 seconds to seperate the housing from the the chassis (battery, knobs, antenna and concentric ring must be removed first, of course).

If you would like, I will try to e-mail you the page or two out of the manual illustrating this (it's Adobe PDF). Just PM me if your interested...
Terry
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

ayaresr wrote:Anyone have the part number to order the A/B/C switch? I have one here that went bad on me, won't work in C. Also, if I remember looking before there was a tool to open the radio. Can't seem to find the demo that showed doing that and the tool, any help there and with that part number also?
Thanks, Ryan
I think the part no. is #4005831W01 someone check me on this..But, as Terry said, its easier (if your in a rush as I always am) to replace the flex assembly with the switch attached, I just pull a new one out of stock...

Post by ayaresr »

The flex assembly, would that basically be the whole new display and everything? Also, I thought I remembered reading where the screwdriver was a bad idea and that it damages the seal.
Terry_Glover

What the hell, can't please everybody...

Post by Terry_Glover »

Hi Gentlemen,

Here is what I have to offer for $19.00. If this particular assy. has a Motorola, P/N, I don't know it...

It does include the switch housing, the volume, channnel and A-B-C switchs, the shield and the flex, guaranteed no bummer.

Just trying to offer assistance here. I ain't trying to impress anybody!

Regards,
Terry
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

10-4 Terry! Nice pic's & a fair price.. the 2nd. pic down has the part no. for the flex NTN7087 on the sticker.......Jim
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Jim, Thanks for the heads up. I don't always know what to look for in these damned P/Ns.

You are exactly right... to be specific, the P/N on these assy's are NTN7087A.

Thank you,
Terry
Wicho
Batboard $upporter

Post by Wicho »

Well Terry, I'm just gonna have to take one of those from you IF the knobs are nice and tight.

PM Sent.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Lu... as you know from your PM, one is on the way to you Sir.

Let me know how it works out for you, PLEASE...

Absolute best of luck,
Terry
Wicho
Batboard $upporter

Post by Wicho »

Muchas Gracias Terry!
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

De nada Amigo...

PLEASE Lu... , let me know how it works out for you. I want to help keep this great series of Motorola radios on the air and working properly for as long as time allows... and parts are available...

Very best,
Terry
Terry_Glover

Re: What the hell, can't please everybody...

Post by Terry_Glover »

Terry_Glover wrote: Image

Boards all gone.

Thanks...
Terry

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”