Wiring Question. Wildcard box/back up lights

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firebuff17

Wiring Question. Wildcard box/back up lights

Post by firebuff17 »

Hello,
I have a wiring question for the pro's.

I have a wildcard box and a relay box with it. I am installing extra reverse lights under my bumper. I wanted to wire the extra lights to the reverse lights so they come on when I put the truck in reverse. I also want to wire the extra lights up so I could turn them off when I dont need the extra light to back up.

How do I go about doing this?

Thank you in advance.
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Use two 30A Bosch relays.

Relay 1 - coil powered from the factory reverse lights, common to +12, normally open out to relay 2. This relay isolates the factory wiring and prevents blowing fuses.

Relay 2 - coil powered from the wildcard output. Relay 1 NO output to common input. Relay 2 NC output to aux reverse lights. Nothing on relay 2 NO output.

Reverse lights off - relay 1 common connected to NC, no current flows to relay 2. Aux lights off.

Reverse lights on, wildcard switch off - relay 1 common connected to NO, current flows to relay 2 common and out NC output to aux lights. Factory lights on, aux lights on.

Reverse lights on, wildcard switch on - relay 1 common connected to NO, current flows to relay 2 common connected to NO output (no further connection. Factory lights on, aux lights off.

Alternately, you put them on their own switch and turn them on manually. This is what I do.
firebuff17

Post by firebuff17 »

tvjsr

Thank you for the reply. I had thought of doing the seperate switch but I will be using the lights alot when backing up and didnt want to turn them on everytime, I would only be turning them off a few times. This way I dont have to worry about hitting a switch all the time.

Thank you again,
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

No big deal. You might consider going a little further and having a button that allows you to force them on, regardless of the vehicle status. That way, you can use them for work lights (or bright-headlight dimmers :P )

I've got 4 600-series halogens (two Optiscenes, two spots) in my rear doors for backup lights. They are very nice to have.
firebuff17

Post by firebuff17 »

Thought of that option as well but didnt know if both options could be done easily.

Would I be able to do that with the setup you replied with before?
Thanks
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”