Crypto key generating app

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mr.syntrx

Crypto key generating app

Post by mr.syntrx »

Basic app that generates truly random crypto keys, using Windows' Base Cryptographic Framework. It does a better job of generating random data than you ever can by hand, and it deals with correct DES key octet parity etc for you. If your machine has a hardware cryptographic accelerator for some reason, that happens to be supported by Windows, it'll use the hardware RNG on that to generate keys.

Only AES, ADP, DES(-XL) and DVP-XL are supported at the moment.

If you want a copy, click here (120kB.)

EDIT: You'll need .NET Framework 2.0 to run this app.
Last edited by mr.syntrx on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Of course, you assume that the Base Crypto framework is flawless. :lol:
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

It's better than my head, and sure as :o better than anything I'd write myself :D
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

That flat kicks ass. Thanks!
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

And it also connects back to mr.syntrx's personal server so he knows all your keys :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Cool stuff. I like it... although it's too bad you can't have an encryption key of all zero's with a 3 at the end.

Bonus points for anyone that gets the reference.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

what a whored out code that was.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

JAYMZ wrote:Cool stuff. I like it... although it's too bad you can't have an encryption key of all zero's with a 3 at the end.

Mr. Burns' Social Security number?
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

I had to install .Net Framework 2.0 and everything is working great now. Thanks
Stu
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Excellent work. Bravo :D

Thanks for taking the time to develope this simple, but usefull app.

Cheers
radio-link

Re: Crypto key generating app

Post by radio-link »

mr.syntrx wrote: Basic app that generates truly random crypto keys, using Windows' Base Cryptographic Framework.
Fine, thank you! I had a DOS app for DES keys (a friend wrote it for me) that allows to create a list of random keys and export them to a .txt-file, to be able to hand out a key list for regular key change. Maybe this would be an addition you could consider for further releases :)

Ralph.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

motorola_otaku wrote:
JAYMZ wrote:Cool stuff. I like it... although it's too bad you can't have an encryption key of all zero's with a 3 at the end.

Mr. Burns' Social Security number?
Definitely not.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

radio-link wrote:
mr.syntrx wrote: Basic app that generates truly random crypto keys, using Windows' Base Cryptographic Framework.
Fine, thank you! I had a DOS app for DES keys (a friend wrote it for me) that allows to create a list of random keys and export them to a .txt-file, to be able to hand out a key list for regular key change. Maybe this would be an addition you could consider for further releases :)

Ralph.
Yep, I've certainly been considering that, but I hadn't decided on whether it would be useful enough to be included. Other features I've thought of as well have been:

* Deriving a key from a text password using PBKDF2 or a similar function (just like that used to derive WEP keys from passwords on wireless networks). Easy to implement.

* Turning the whole thing into a P25 complaint (CKR in Motorola speak) keyfill package, through a fairly cheap, easy to build, open custom hardware interface based around an Atmel AVR microcontroller. I've currently got an interface through which I can send and receive really basic commands to the radio from an AVR (not enough to actually load a key yet), but that's as far as I've gotten so far. This would negate the need to purchase a KVL 3000 for algorithms such as AES256 on modern ASTRO equipment, and for other manufacturer's equipment such as Tait, Kenwood etc.

This wouldn't load keys into legacy equipment using Motorola's ASN protocol such as Sabers, MTS 2000 etc though, because that protocol is Motorola proprietary, and I suspect the chances of them granting me a license to the protocol under conditions I'd be comfortable with (if at all) would be exactly 0.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

mr.syntrx wrote:
This wouldn't load keys into legacy equipment using Motorola's ASN protocol such as Sabers, MTS 2000 etc though, because that protocol is Motorola proprietary, and I suspect the chances of them granting me a license to the protocol under conditions I'd be comfortable with (if at all) would be exactly 0.
Do you have further information about the ASN protocol? I am really thinking of putting something like that together for me, just for private use. My intention was to hook the digital scope into the connection from KVL to radio to have a look what there is happening between them...but maybe this is even not necessary, and the whole thing is already documented somewhere?

Ralph.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

It's not documented publically. I've got the Project 25 Keyfill Device specifications, but I have no information on the Advanced SECURENET protocol.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

mr.syntrx wrote:It's not documented publically. I've got the Project 25 Keyfill Device specifications, but I have no information on the Advanced SECURENET protocol.
What a pity; but I did not really expect to find it out in the public :) So the scope job must be done...

Ralph.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”