More Centracom Help

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wb4bli

More Centracom Help

Post by wb4bli »

Can anyone tell me how to enable some of my buttons on my OP? I tried to do a manual entry QCII and there isn't a button todo it, but I have several memory buttons that are programmed with QCII tones. I also want to change those tones for those buttons. Also I only see Alert 1 button and I want the other Alert 2 and Alert 3. What can I change on this end?
xmo

Post by xmo »

Your Dispatcher console is a 6809 OMI based system. The 6809 / OMI based CCII button & LED consoles program with a special firmware kit that installs on a spare OMI. This was sold as the B1610 Field Prom Programmer [FPP].

The FPP consists of two sets of PROM's: Part 1 firmware BLN6778A and Part 2 firmware BLN6779A. The kit also included an instruction manual 6881070E10 and sold for $1100.00

Additionally, a CCII serial option card is used to support two devices, an ASCII terminal for user interface and a PROM blower which does the actual programming of the operator position personality PROM. Several programmers from Logical Devices and Data I/O are supported.

Finding this programming kit on the used market will be a significant challenge. If you do find it, learning to use it will be another significant challenge.

Perhaps your local Motorola shop has the experience and equipment to take on your project.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I have the following. Can you tell me what each of them are?

10 BLN-6654
9 BLN-6665
4 BLN-6664
3 BLN-1196
1 BLN-6825
2 BLN-6650
3 BLN-6825
6 BLN-6845
1 BLN-1145
1 BLN-6755
3 BPN-1009
KE9GK

CCII

Post by KE9GK »

Thanks XMO...but I think this response was meant for my post with the pix in it, as mine is the "dispatcher"...but nevertheless I found your response and again appreciate all the additional support!! Perhaps it is worth my trip in that case to my local radio shop - they can have the headache!!

Just so I am clear then, the full size consoles program with actual RSS, and the compact 6809's program with the firmware kit and ASCII terminal??

Thanks
Don
After years of dealing with the public I have realized.....You Just Can't Fix Stupid!
xmo

Post by xmo »

So indeed there are two of you adventurers!

The same programming method described above is used for either compact [e.g. Dispatcher] or full sized CCII systems that use the 6809 based OMI [operator interface]

Both types of button & LED positions were available for every version of the product, Centracom Series II, Centracom Trunked, Centracom Series II Plus, and Centracom Gold Classic.

Trunked and CCII+ consoles use 68000 based operator cards, either TOMI or turbo-TOMI. These program with an RSS package, RVN4029, which is still available from Motorola parts for about $300.

The 68000 based systems were initially shipped with EPROM codeplugs which require a PROM blower in addition to the RSS. Newer consoles shipped with EEPROM codeplugs that can be reprogrammed directly in the CEB through the RS232 CEB option board.

Gold Classic positions use the COIM operator interface and program with the CDM [Console Database Manager]
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

Is this the card that is used to connect the OP to the rack? Or is it on the OP its self?
KE9GK

CCII

Post by KE9GK »

XMO - Yep...to my pleasant suprise there are two of us :P

wb4bli just for your information - you will NEED the manuals if you ever hope to make any sense of any of the mess /\/\ calls the Centracom II. I just got mine a week ago and did it ever simplify my life!! You will need at minimum the service, installation, operators, and all the supplements - which is what I have now. The problem is that it is over 8" thick and more than confusing for the amateur radio tech such as I am..which is why I'm here now !! :P

XMO - for grins and giggles - is it at all possible to convert the 6809 OMI over to a 68000 with the simple swap of the PROMS to EEPROMS, or do I need to purchase a TOMI with the required chips already in it and program from there? If you guys have the associated P/N's that would be great as I'm not opposed to going the used route here. (or my MOL account will again have a balance :)) My unit came with an RS232 Board (I think) P/N BLN6755B and a goofy cable with an RJ45 connector on one end and a DB9 on the other - would this be the programming cable and correct interface if it were already converted to a 68000 based unit? My reason for asking is that it may already have been converted. According to its previous owner he had RSS and the codeplug for it on a disk that was damaged in shipping and unusable when I got it from UPS. (see attatched pics of components)

Programming Cable???

RS-232 Programming Board??

OMI Board

Finally for clarification purposes - all of the B&L functions and locations such as the alert 1, 2 and 3, patch set-up, QCII, etc. reside in the PROM/EEPROM on the OMI/TOMI's not in the actual compact console - Correct???

Thanks Again Everyone - As Always I Couldn't Have Done It w/o You
Don
After years of dealing with the public I have realized.....You Just Can't Fix Stupid!
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

Question for KE9GK and WB4BLI, would you guys along with anyone else have any interest in a website with how-to's and misc notes from your personal experiences relating to the Centracom system? I am interested in setting up a Centracom system myself, and have had the thought a few times now about possibly creating a website to assist myself and others who share this :lol: sick :roll: interest. Anyone interested please email me or pm me.
Thanks, Ryan
KC2KQH
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Consoles

Post by George »

Why don't all of you get together and put your combined wisdom here?

I have noticed the lack of information regarding remotes and consoles here and since this place is Motorola central, why not here? Why the need for another web site?

I was going to start documenting all my information about remotes and the smaller consoles in the kb section of this site. I am resurrecting some older units, (T1617) and defining the pinouts and connections.

That is, if anyone is interested...

George
xmo

Post by xmo »

Here's a start: ebay item 320096411670
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

I wouldn't be against putting all of the information here, in the past I have just noticed that it seemed like because of the large amount of info regarding these systems, that some people seemed to have what I interpreted to be more of a read the manuals or a good luck with that kind of attitude. That was my main reason for suggesting an outside site aimed more at these systems.
-Ryan
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I am all for another site or a place on here to have JUST console and remote help. I know most people could care less, but I for one realy want to get my system configured the way I want it. I have searched for help high and low. I have read my manuals and if anyone knows the manuals they know they are not to helpful. I do have my own web server and I am very interested in hosting one if all of you want to work something out. The consoles were great in their day and it would sure be a waste to just ditch them!
KE9GK

CCII

Post by KE9GK »

I would also be interested in helping on a new site, but I would prefer it to stay here if posible.

XMO - I now own 2 of those sets of manuals :)
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I also own manuals and have read through them. As one other post had said.... Manuals were almost useless for what I wanted to know concerning my console. I thought the questions I had were simple since they were the same as KE9GK's. Maybe either another site or something for those who are interested instead of negitive responses about manuals and good lucks. We all come here because most of us have run out of places to look for answers. It is not worth a reply to tell us to look in the manual or to have good luck. Again, I am all for it staying here, but if you guys want another site.. I have the server and the space and domain if needed. I am here to help where I can. 73
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I'll make you guys a Centracom Forum if you think that it would be worth of it's own space.

If there's enough interest. Enough of these seem to be popping up on the used market any way...

I also have no problem making a Knowledge Base Category for Centracom, if you would rather do that.

Just ask.

-Alex
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I think that is a good idea Alex. Thanks for the offer. If there is anything I can help you with on the site please let me know. I have a vast knowlegde of servers and their software. I have better knowledge there than I do with this dang Centracom LOL.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I have figured out how to do QCIIA and QCIIB on my console for those who need to know. I also figured out how to change the memory buttons for QCII or what ever paging you want. When we get a place to add the info I will share what I have found out with a persons help. ALSO. I am using a CCII+!! YAY for me.
d119

Post by d119 »

Hi Gang.

I'm also doing Centracom tinkering, but I have to BUILD my own CEB (with all the parts).

I have piecemeal centracom here.

I *DO* have TOMI's, but they're in an unknown condition.

xmo - can you advise which EEPROMS are needed for an RSS based TOMI? i.e. which EEPROMS (28C256?) and which positions on the board do they need to be in?

I also have an RS232 board, cable, and the "Series2" programming software (RSS).

Lets go guys. How-to time.

What we really need is a copy of the pinout for the CEB to PC cable you've got....
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

Can anyone also share with me a list of all QCII Centracom codes? I need to coeds to change paging.
d119

Post by d119 »

Well amazingly enough, I was able to build *FROM SCRATCH* a Centracom II+ Buttons and LED's CEB and OP position.

I had to do all the board TDM addressing, etc myself.

I also had to set up the CCM's in the Channel Control Panel, and install BIM's and everything else.

I'm finished, and I now have a CEB with 3 tone BIM's, 2 system timers and 1 TOMI.

The only problem is that I don't have any receive audio out of the speakers on the front of the CCP. I have the console set up for Speaker1 on AEI0 for select, and Speaker2 on AEI0 for unselect.

This is a conventional only system. I don't even get local alert tones or anything out of the console speakers at all. They have a slight background hiss when at full volume so I know they're on, but beyond that no audio.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? This TOMI was originally in trunking service. It's a II+ that programs with the Series2 RSS.

Thanks!
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

Maybe the slot you have the TOMI or the card that the console plugs into. I did some card slot changes and it throwed me out of wack so right now only one position will rx audio. Now I have to figure out where they all were originally. Also when I picked up the console and hooked it up at home. I have 3 racks and the first BIM on rack 1 is Red and the 5th BIM is RED. The only way to get either on of them green is to leave one of them out. It seems they can't be in there at the same time.

Also.... How do you configure the addreses for each card? Is this the firmware on each card or what. Can anyone mail me the QCII program converter that does the tones to 4-digit.
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

I am watching this auction on ebay now. From what is posted, can anyone tell me a little about this? Having the RS232 boards, would that indicate that this is able to be computer programmed without the prom burner? Also, there are a few board numbers listed here that I can't seem to find in my manual or on MOL. Anyone willing to take a stab at it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
Thanks, Ryan
d119

Post by d119 »

ayaresr wrote:I am watching this auction on ebay now. From what is posted, can anyone tell me a little about this? Having the RS232 boards, would that indicate that this is able to be computer programmed without the prom burner? Also, there are a few board numbers listed here that I can't seem to find in my manual or on MOL. Anyone willing to take a stab at it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
Thanks, Ryan
You need the PROM programmer to work with that equipment, as I don't see any TOMI or Turbo TOMI's listed (BLN1170). I'd steer clear of that IMHO.

WB4BLI - The DIP switches on the front of the cards set the TDM address in HEX. The reason both of those BIM's are going red when they are in the CEB together is most likely because the TDM addresses are duplicated. DO NOT JUST GO ARBITRARILY CHANGING THE DIP SWITCH SETTINGS... You're bound to make things worse, and you need to read the CEB in Series2 RSS and look at what the addresses *SHOULD* be.

Each card must have it's own unique TDM address. Also, in small CEB's, they must all be set to the same MUXbus and BUSYbus (there are 3 MUXbus and 3 BUSYbus settings per card). There are only 32 TDM addresses available. Having the three MUXus and BUSYbus settings makes a total 96 possible TDM addresses in a CEB, and it works like this

First 32 TDM addresses = MUXbus1 BUSYbus1
Second 32 TDM addresses = MUXbus2 BUSYbus2
Third 32 TDM addresses = MUXbus3 BUSYbus3.

The MUXbus and BUSYbus are set using jumpers that are usually nearby the card edge connector on the card in question.

They are usually labelled M1, M2, M3 and B1, B2, B3. If you're running a CEB with less than 32 cards (3 or less cages) make sure everything is on M1 and B1.

I'll post more specifics about TDM addressing in the next few days.

Mods: I know I'm a centracom newbie, but I've learned so much in the last week it's amazing, and I have ALL of the hardware/software to test with. If you want to create a Centracom forum, I'm ready to start posting my experiences in it and my howto's on TDM addressing, MUXbus/BUSYbus and programming CEB TDM configurations in Series2 RSS.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”