Hide a way strobe Question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Firecar96

Hide a way strobe Question

Post by Firecar96 »

I have installed tons of grommet mount strobe tubes, but I now have to use a flange mount.

Does anybody have advice on flange mount strobe tubes? Are they just as water tight as the grommet mount ones?
I always put a ring of silicone around the grommet ones, but will I need to do that with the flange mount ones?

If anybody has advice one these or just your general opinion on either tube, please do tell.

Thanks
firefighter2000
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 MTS2000 M1225 HT1000

Install

Post by firefighter2000 »

Basically its the same as putting in the grommet style... Just a couple of more steps required. Put the strobe in the hole, and mark the location for the screws. Pull it back out and using a drill bit just a bit smaller than the screws, drill the holes for the screws. Put the strobe back in making sure the gasket is in place then tighten down the screws.

No need for silicone as long as you have the gasket in place. I've installed many of the flange mount as they seem to last longer and arent prone to fall out. The grommet style wont stand up to much more than 15 watts per head either. Thats why the 6/90 [complete] sets whelen sells come with flange mount instead of the grommet style. ALSO... I seem to replace more grommet style ones more frequently than the flange mount style.

Sure the grommet style is easier to install, but you dont need silicone and they wont fall out if installed correctly. Just my opinion tho!

Hope this helps
Craig
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Thanks, I really appreciate all your info!!!
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Don't be too over-zealous in drilling. Be careful, and go slowly. I have had cracked housings, which isn't fun. In agreement, I prefer the flange mount. Higher power handling, less fall-outs, and less leakage. A couple extra steps in installation, but I think it's worth it.
Mike

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”