FCC Narrowband Migration Requirements

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

FCC Narrowband Migration Requirements

Post by fireradio »

Hi all,

I spoke with my rep from my MSS earlier today, as my organization (non-public safety, UHF license) is getting ready to purchase a new radio system. I know and trust this shop very well, in fact, I used to work for them. Anyway, she told me that the FCC is going to be mandating 6.25 KHz voice channels by 2013, and 12.5 by 2011. I think she might have gotten some misinformation.

As far as I can tell, the FCC has said nothing about mandating the operation of 6.25 KHz equipment by 2013. The only thing I've found says that as of 2005, they will no longer issue type acceptance to radios that cannot operate on a 6.25 KHz channel (which does make me wonder -- when is mandatory 6.25 KHz operation coming)?

I am trying to determine what's best for my organization -- purchase a conventional 12.5 KHz system and upgrade later, or, spend a lot more now for a 6.25 KHz-capable system (MOTOTRBO) and be ready for the future.

I appreciate your input...
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Will

Re: FCC Narrowband Migration Requirements

Post by Will »

Charlie,

What does your current FCC license have on it now?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I think your rep is misinformed. Last I heard, the fcc was no longer going to issue or renew 25k channels, that date has already past, so eventually the 25k licenses will expire and be converted to 12.5. That may or may not be 2013. The only place I see 6.25k channels referenced is to the new 12.5 channels that were created between the old 25k channels. Those are called 6.25 step channels or splinter channels, but the radios are standard narrowband 12.5k radios, its just that some older radios won't accept the new splinter channels.
As far as mototrbo, I'm pretty sure that is tdma digital, time division multiple access, it divides time between two radios not frequency spectrum. Its still 12.5k carrier. Hope that helps. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

6.25KHz is a pipe dream right now, the technology does not support the requirement and one of the biggest 800lb gorillas in the industry is lobbying heavily against it. As of right now the FCC has said they expect to eventually require all licenses to be 6.25KHz apart but they concede they cannot consider this until the technology has matured.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Will wrote:Charlie,

What does your current FCC license have on it now?
Will, our current emission type is classified as 20K0F3E.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

the last I heard was already mentioned that the fcc just wasn't going to renu licenses at 25 and all the new ones i've seen that have been coming out as renued are the same only now at 12.5. i have also heard that newer radios in the future from motorola won't have 25 available anymore as an option in the drop down box and future firmware and cps upgrades will make them all 12.5
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Applications for wideband operations (25 KHz channels) will be accepted until January 1, 2011

http://www.apcointl.com/frequency/docum ... Order.html

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”