ASTRO Saber reassembly woes

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MotoRadioMan
What radios do you own?: /\/\

ASTRO Saber reassembly woes

Post by MotoRadioMan »

Here I thought it would be a simple enough task to swap around a few crypto modules. I was wrong. I took two of my ASTRO Sabers a I and a II. The AS I had an XL/OFB module in it, and I just received, from an unnamed online auction site, a DES-XL module. I wanted the II to have the XL/OFB and the I to have the -XL. So, open the I, pulled the dual mode module, replaced it with the XL module. Powered up, beep, cool working no problem just needs keyloaded. Opened the module-less AS II and installed the (removed working) XL/OFB module. Reassembled, and nothing happened when I turned the radio on. Not a @$#$!$!% thing. Not light, beep, tone, smoke, explosion, interstellar cataclysm, NOTHING!! And I JUST got the AS II (my "carry all the time" radio) 2 weeks ago. :x

Anyone have any suggestions? I checked the interconnect twice, and stripped and reassembled the whole works twice, she's still a doorstop. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Alex
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: ASTRO Saber reassembly woes

Post by Josh »

I had the same thing happen to me, I thought it was the flex so I bought another radio to swap frames/flex with....

it made no difference, it ended up being the fuse.

Dismantle the radio and check near the battery contacts inside the radio for the fuse and then check it for continuity, it may have blown.

-Josh
MotoRadioMan
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by MotoRadioMan »

That was indeed the problem. I still have to get it replaced, a little more than I am going to chance with what little I have at my disposal. Good news is, it's exactly what you said. Don't know why it went K-F-B, but better that than something else. Thanks again for your help.

Alex
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

There is a insulator that goes on the back of the frame on some radios that keeps the radio from making a strange contact and blowing the fuse with some housings. This has been the case on a couple I have seen.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”