900 mhz base antenna

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

900 mhz base antenna

Post by rrfd43 »

I am looking to experiment on the 900 meg ham band. I got a loan on radios and need some suggestions on antenna. How about proper feedline? Can anyone give me any reference for base use, and any reference on isolators for a repeater? Any used stuff you want to sell?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

:

Post by Jim2121 »

There's a batlab user id: John Wayne.... has a website for a whole bunch of goods --antenna'a --hardline-- Go up to the Search Icon on top & search for his name..... meantime tell us what kind of radios you got?
Mobiles, HT's ?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

900 mHz etc.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Our friend John Wayne (Jeff) has been out of business for
several months, unfortunately. He sold all of his stock, some
of it here on the Board, and left for parts unknown, or
something like that.

On 902/927 many of us use Belden 9913 cable. If you want
to experiment with antennas you can cut and make your own
groundplane. The nominal quarter wave radiator is 3 inches
for 902 mHz.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Re: 900 mHz etc.

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="Tom in D.C."]Our friend John Wayne (Jeff) has been out of business for
several months, unfortunately. He sold all of his stock, some
of it here on the Board, and left for parts unknown, or
something like that.

On 902/927 many of us use Belden 9913 cable. If you want
to experiment with antennas you can cut and make your own
groundplane. The nominal quarter wave radiator is 3 inches
for 902 mHz.[/quote]

Didn't know that Jeff is gone?
Thanks for the heads-up Tom! When your busy, I miss these things..
Jonathan KC8RYW

Re: 900 mhz base antenna

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

rrfd43 wrote:any reference on isolators for a repeater?
I think I have an isolator or two around here that will work on 900. Let me know if you are interested.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

As Tom in D.C. said...for hardline 9913 is the way to go. Just under a buck a foot. It has low loss.

just a reference:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/coax.html
check out the power capacity and attenuation comparison charts.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Thanks guys, keep any ideas comming. There is only one repeater in the area here and I would like to experiment putting up another. I'm not sure how much range I will get so I want to start out simple and change from there.
rodell

Post by rodell »

I have switched most of my lower-loss needs to LMR400 or 600, as long as it isn't in duplex service. $.65-$.75/foot (400). I've had fewer problems than I did with 9913.

Be certain you pay attention at 900 to connectors, they can get you, too. Yes, I know lots of old commercial gear used RCA connectors, even at 900, but ....

There are a lot of 900 base antennas around - if you want a big stick you can often get one from the paging companies - they have them laying around, sometimes you have to take them down. Be careful of downtilt, though, when you check the model numbers.

There are also lots of "short" 900's around, just 2-3 foot colinears. There were several places that had them at Dayton at very reasonable prices. Good for experimenting, or, for those of us with deed restrictions.

Rob
rocketman
Batboard $upporter

Post by rocketman »

I would not even screw around with LMR or 9913 for repeater use. Depending on cable lengths, use Andrew Heliax 1/2" or better. We are using 7/8" for our 900 repeater here in North Guilford, CT. Losses dictate the largest cable that you can install. And yes, do not use crappy jumpers or connectors. Use 1/2" flexible heliax as much as possible, and for very short jumpers, RG-214 will suffice.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Looking at some converted spectra, don't have em here yet but hopefully soon. Any idea where to search for these antennas? I see lots on e-bay but they look to be for cell, etc. Or are they the same? I did some other searches but did not come up with any cross references? Any name I can search for?
rodell

Post by rodell »

Some of the 900 MHz antenna names that come to mind you might find new or used:

Celwave
dB products
Sinclair
Antenex
Comtelco
Antel
Scala
Maxrad
Andrew (Includes Decibel brand)

There's an Antenex FG9026, which is a 6db omni on fleaBay right now, for example.

Antennas that cover 902-928 are what you need. Some of the commercial ones cover much more - that's ok, too. Using antennas out of their range can result in some very odd patterns, and, odd angles of radiation, putting RF where you don't need it. Unless you're familiar with the effects, I recommend you avoid them.

I completely agree with the post about using the best feedline you can have for a repeater. Heliax, Commscope, or something else of similar quality and construction is warranted. Buy the largest diameter you can afford if you have any significant length to run. If your run is short, still stick with one of the good brands with the appropriate connectors. 9913, LMR and some others will cause you grief in the long(er) timeframe.

Rob
mike m

Post by mike m »

http://www.pacwireless.com/products/omni_900mhz.shtml

Has anybody used any of these antennas from pacific wireless ?

Curious if they are any good since the price is OK. They may be good for a home installation but I don't think I'd use one on a mountain top site.

Mike
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="mike m"]http://www.pacwireless.com/products/omni_900mhz.shtml

Has anybody used any of these antennas from pacific wireless ?

Curious if they are any good since the price is OK. They may be good for a home installation but I don't think I'd use one on a mountain top site.

Mike[/quote]
wind factor 125mph.... Well we have lots of 900 repeaters in the Phoenix area & north.... I guess I'll check out a base. NLOS series omni 900-928Mhz not a bad price.. thx. for the tip--& link..... Jim
mike m

Post by mike m »

I found that link several months ago but never pursued it.

I was thinking the same as you Jim.

I need to get rid of the 45 degree beamwidth 12 dB gain yagi on the 927.6125 here in the Eagle Ridge area of Prescott and replace it with a decent omni so more people can use the 6 meter remote base.

Mike
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="mike m"]I found that link several months ago but never pursued it.

I was thinking the same as you Jim.

I need to get rid of the 45 degree beamwidth 12 dB gain yagi on the 927.6125 here in the Eagle Ridge area of Prescott and replace it with a decent omni so more people can use the 6 meter remote base.

Mike[/quote]
sounds like a good idea Mike.... though I prefer 6 meters SSB with a hi-gain antenna.. an FM remote... sounds like a project & a half. I'll keep you posted if & when I make any buys from Pacific Wireless. I'll pm /email you on the quality & check it out on the service equipment. and will get back to you.... I'm making a move south of Payson to jakes corner. appx 15 mi. south... got my hands full..... later Jim
mike m

Post by mike m »

The 6 meter remote has been working on the 927.6125 for a year now without any problems. Some of the locals, N7NGM Rex and Buzz K7GST up at Gunsite shooting academy use it regularly. Last week it got a lot of 525 and repeater use to the Carolinas, Tenn. and georgia on 6 FM.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="mike m"]The 6 meter remote has been working on the 927.6125 for a year now without any problems. Some of the locals, N7NGM Rex and Buzz K7GST up at Gunsite shooting academy use it regularly. Last week it got a lot of 525 and repeater use to the Carolinas, Tenn. and georgia on 6 FM.[/quote
more later.... I'm off to Santa Fe on business... Jim Reid
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

James KA3IDN which had several 900 repeaters in the Las Vegas area and down along the river linked over to San Diego has moved to Odessa. They have been reasigned to N6LXX. Stu WV6H which had a 900 repeater in San Diego also moved to the Odessa area. Both are currently putting up new 900 machines that will tie back into this area.

Dave K7GDM which founded the Missing Lynk has moved his server from his 900 machine to his 440.

Steve
Prescott, AZ
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="Big BOB"]James KA3IDN which had several 900 repeaters in the Las Vegas area and down along the river linked over to San Diego has moved to Odessa. They have been reasigned to N6LXX. Stu WV6H which had a 900 repeater in San Diego also moved to the Odessa area. Both are currently putting up new 900 machines that will tie back into this area.

Dave K7GDM which founded the Missing Lynk has moved his server from his 900 machine to his 440.

Steve
Prescott, AZ[/quote]

Hi Steve! Well Dave had a prescott 900 repeater linked up with his 440.
or his echolink
Then the 900 repeater in Prescott left the missing lynk.
The current news is he will be off to texas, looks like this year!
I've know Dave K7GDM from the Phoenix area appx: 11 years.
email my for the details .. I'm at the airport, waiting to get on
a jet to NM for a week of business..... be back tonite
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

That was my 900 repeater here in Prescott 927.3875. Watch for my new MSF 5000 927.4125 to go on Mingus.

Steve
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Thanks for the info, I am reading along. I am completely new to the 900 band and I see a lot of different style antenna and would like to pick one out that is good for general use.
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

Re: 900 mhz base antenna

Post by n8obu »

i use andrews 1¼ for long runs and ½ superflex for jumpers but the ½ gets hot running 300 watts plus ..yes i see over 500 watts from time to time running out my atv repeater amps and no pl 259's only n conectors or 9/16 dins over 250 watts or try your luck. i have ant's but costly to ship. mike b
http://n8obu.com/

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”