fpp enable

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scooby-70
New User

fpp enable

Post by scooby-70 »

hey there fellows,

I have a little problem; i have an xts-5000 uhf high with the q52 fpp option, however when i try to add the option from the items/menu list but it's not on the list. also when i go to the zone and channel assignment i see the fpp/protection tab and when i click on it and select the fpp enable i get the wiew only eye glasses icon. i tried every thing i could think of but nothing seems to work. the flashcode of my radio is 5A9008-101E87-8. if anyone know how i could get the fpp enabled i would greatly appreciated your assistance. thanks in advance. scooby-70
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: fpp enable

Post by Mfire39 »

It sounds to me like you are using CPS version 10 or 11.. Thats not a good idea with that flashcode... R09.xx.xx works the best with that flash, as it plays nice with Q52 only radios..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
libuff

Post by libuff »

if you have Q52, you MAY need the programming dongle, i don't remember exactly if its required with Q52 or Q53, but i know its definately not required with Q52 & Q53 together..
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Nope, you only need the programming dongle if the radio only has Q53..

Q52 only = No dongle

Q52 + Q53 = No dongle

Q53 only = Dongle required

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Q52 WITHOUT Q53 requires CPS9. If CPS 10 is used with Q52 alone it will disable/
erase/render unusable/kill the FPP capability.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

Like Tom said, CPS 9 ONLY. DO NOT USE CPS 10 or 11. You've been warned. 8)
scooby-70
New User

Post by scooby-70 »

thanks for your help guys, your the best. DARN!!! I used the latest cps 11.00.00, is it possible to use the 9.00.00 or no? i heard that once you use a later version of cps it is not going to let you use the earlier one, but i'm not sure if that's true though. thanks again guys. 8)
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

PM sent..

-Marc

Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

You may have a problem with that???
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Here is what I would do, this should work.

First uninstall the new Rev 11 CPS.
Reinstall Rev 9 CPS.
Now you will need a codeplug from your radio that was read with Rev 9 CPS. If you don't have one saved I would just ask around for a copy of someone else's. You will need it to be the same band, flshcode, and read with CPS 9.
Then just write/clone the codeplug into your radio.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Jim.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

I emailed him a R09.xx.xx plug for his radio this afternoon.. Have not heard back from him as to the outcome...

-Marc

akardam

Post by akardam »

On Astro 25 radios, I don't believe writing an older version codeplug into the radio will work - CPS checks the radio internal codeplug version value before writing - if it's higher than the source codeplug, it should reject it.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

akardam wrote:On Astro 25 radios, I don't believe writing an older version codeplug into the radio will work - CPS checks the radio internal codeplug version value before writing - if it's higher than the source codeplug, it should reject it.
Yup

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Post by DES-AJ »

Any updates - I'm curious
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

It's fixed..

-Marc

bilat

Post by bilat »

So it was fixed using that procedure that you recommended?
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'm having sort of the same issue with my radio, a VHF version.

First off:

Flashcode is 5A0088-001D86-4
Host/DSP are both 10.00.0
I'm using CPS 11.00.0 to program the radio

I'm able to FPP zone 1, but CPS doesn't show the "FPP Enable" checkbox checked for that zone, and I am unable to select FPP enable for any of the zones (1 - 15).

I've tried deleting all but one channel in each zone as the help file suggests but still no good. I've tried deleting all zones and personalities and starting from scratch as well.

Any ideas how to get FPP to work on the remaining zones? Does the radio need to be flashed to Host/DSP 11.00.0 or whatever the latest is for this to work correctly? Or is my flashcode one of the hacked up ones with incompatible stuff?

Pat
astrousa

Post by astrousa »

I am almost wondering if it is the flashcode giving you problems? Basically say you want to fpp zones 1-3 - have a conv personality point to each ch in zones 1-3 & turn fpp on in the zone menu.

Heard from a good source that M does not validate flashcodes with letters. Say your radio has a problem & needs a new command board - M will not give you the same flash since it has letters. Maybe only not validated to non govt?? Either way wondering if M figured a way to known if a radio has the Q52 feature when it 'should not' & lock the Q52 feature with newer cps?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

CPS 11 handles FPP differently than 9.x, and 10.x. You should read the help file in CPS 11 which describes how FPP is handled in 11. Usually if you switch CPS versions, you also should upgrade the firmware in the portable.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

astrousa wrote:...Heard from a good source that M does not validate flashcodes with letters. Say your radio has a problem & needs a new command board - M will not give you the same flash since it has letters. Maybe only not validated to non govt?? Either way wondering if M figured a way to known if a radio has the Q52 feature when it 'should not' & lock the Q52 feature with newer cps?
Hahahaa...

God I love "sources" and their mis-information.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
astrousa

Post by astrousa »

Then I have no idea why people are having problems? My radio has Host/DSP 10.00 & works fine in CPS 11 with FPP enabled & works on zones 1-15
akardam

Post by akardam »

astrousa wrote:Then I have no idea why people are having problems? My radio has Host/DSP 10.00 & works fine in CPS 11 with FPP enabled & works on zones 1-15
Then you're not looking hard enough. The FPP issue with newer revisions of CPS has been discussed at length:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=74287

In short, any flashcode with Q52 FPP only will not work correctly in CPS > R09. Any flashcode with Q53 (and optionally additionally Q52) will work correctly in CPS R10 and R11. Paired with the appropriate firmware, FPP has been changed so that you may have up to 15 FPP zones starting from Zone 1, and additional zones/channels beyond that (up to the radio's maximum capacity) as opposed to the previous 240 channels 15 zones, no more no less.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”