MW520 and GPS map?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dxon2m

MW520 and GPS map?

Post by dxon2m »

I figure it would be quite neat if we can run some kind of mapping software (google earth, ms street and trips etc) on the MW520 using NEMA data for GPS.

Has anyone tried such setup yet?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: MW520 and GPS map?

Post by Pj »

I run UIView32 and Garmin nRoute, using an external bluetooth GPS and the GPSGate software data spliter. This will take one input (garmin format and/or NMEA standard) and create other virtual ports so you can run multiple software packages, and 1 GPS.

I know a board memeber that using the Google software with his MW800 as well, and my MW800 will be doing the same. Right now, all above is on my MW520.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
siigna
New User
What radios do you own?: MW-520

Post by siigna »

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you're not using the built-in GPS on the MW520? By default the GPS that is built-in is going to spit out TAIP data, but using the TSIPChat programming tool you can set the GPS to output NMEA data which most every piece of mapping and GPS related software will be able to use.

Also I use a program called XPort on my 520 to split the GPS (default is COM3) to a few different ports so I may use more than one program with the GPS at a time.

If you need any information regarding my setup feel free to PM me, or email me (techie at siigna dot net). I'd be more than happy to email you the program and some instructions on how to use it.
JDMinPDX
New User

Post by JDMinPDX »

My MW-520 has a GPS connector on the back. Does that mean that I dont need an antenna for GPS? Or does this mean that the reciever is built in but I need an antenna? I am a little confused about this...

I read that the whole GPS capability is built in to select units but I also read other wise.
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

siigna wrote:Out of curiosity, any particular reason you're not using the built-in GPS on the MW520? By default the GPS that is built-in is going to spit out TAIP data, but using the TSIPChat programming tool you can set the GPS to output NMEA data which most every piece of mapping and GPS related software will be able to use.

Also I use a program called XPort on my 520 to split the GPS (default is COM3) to a few different ports so I may use more than one program with the GPS at a time.

If you need any information regarding my setup feel free to PM me, or email me (techie at siigna dot net). I'd be more than happy to email you the program and some instructions on how to use it.
Not all units came equipped with a GPS receiver installed. I think this was an option.

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Correct. In the used market, most MW-520's have had the video and data modem options, but I have seen very few with the GPS option. You need to connect a GPS antenna to that unit for it to work. It won't work magically under the seat :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”