Astro Saber goes to P25 when RXing analog

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radio-link

Astro Saber goes to P25 when RXing analog

Post by radio-link »

Hi!

I have two Astro Saber that I use for ham radio in FM and P25. When I set them on mixed mode, they often try to decode P25 on weak FM signals, or on some stations with very strong and/or shrill modulation. This is very annoying, as often important parts of a conversation are muted or replace with digital cling-clang-clong. With both my XTS5000 there never has been such problem!

Are the Astro Saber sensitive for such problems in general, or am I the only one? :-) My solution was setting up a second bank of channels without any P25 capabilities, but maybe there is some adjustment to improve the behaviour of mixed mode channels?!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Hightower

Re: Astro Saber goes to P25 when RXing analog

Post by Hightower »

I have a AS M1 with 5.6/6.5 host/dsp, never notice the problem you describe.

Radio aligned? If not, I've seen Astros do some erratic digital/analog decoding - sound like the problem your having. 8)

Post your Host/DSP of your radio, maybe you have a real early IMBE firmware that had early beta bugs/problems.

Good luck
radio-link

Re: Astro Saber goes to P25 when RXing analog

Post by radio-link »

Hightower wrote:I have a AS M1 with 5.6/6.5 host/dsp, never notice the problem you describe.

Radio aligned? If not, I've seen Astros do some erratic digital/analog decoding - sound like the problem your having. 8)

Post your Host/DSP of your radio, maybe you have a real early IMBE firmware that had early beta bugs/problems.

Good luck
07.00.02 / 07.03.06, seems new enough. Clean 403-477 MHz radios with factory alignment, no misalignment, all measured parameters (freq., dev.) 1a OK. They perform just great, in P25 and in FM.

The problem occurs when using "my" local repeater DB0FUE, in fact with handhelds I never user other repeaters when I am in my home ares :-) This repeater allows FSK, so it repeats FM, D-Star, P25...maybe it has to do with this capability, maybe it produces some glitches on weak signals that "sound" like P25 to the radios. I do not have 70cm XTS5k, only 2m, so I can not test them in the same surrounding.

Will go on testing...

Thank you for the reply!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”