Squelch adjustment Astro Saber?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radio-link

Squelch adjustment Astro Saber?

Post by radio-link »

Hi,

I wonder if there really is no squelch adjustment possible with those radios in tuner software? Even with setting 1 in the personality I would like to have a bit more sql sensitivity - the setting is perfect for public safety, but for ham use it is still a bit high. The XTS5000 are much better in that.

Any ideas? Maybe I just have missed something :-)

Ralph.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Squelch adjustment Astro Saber?

Post by Josh »

radio-link wrote:Hi,

I wonder if there really is no squelch adjustment possible with those radios in tuner software? Even with setting 1 in the personality I would like to have a bit more sql sensitivity - the setting is perfect for public safety, but for ham use it is still a bit high. The XTS5000 are much better in that.

Any ideas? Maybe I just have missed something :-)

Ralph.
Squelch is programmed on a per-channel basis. Check your personalities in the codeplug.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Josh wrote:Squelch is programmed on a per-channel basis. Check your personalities in the codeplug.
As I have written, I have done this, but it is not enough...
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

More than likely if squelch fine tune of 1 is still too tight, you either have a 512K controller or old firmware on a 1Meg controller.

512K controllers even with the last available host / dsp (5.6 / 6.5) exibit somewhat tight squelch at fine tune of 1.

So if your radio has a 512K controller, your out-of-luck and will have to deal with the somewhat tigher squelch. However if your controller is a 1Meg, a firmware uplift to 7.71.00 / 8.03.03 will solve the tight squelch. Actually Host/dsp above 7.04.xx / 8.xx.xx should NOTexibit this tight squelch issue.

512K controllers can only have host/dps of 5.6/6.5 or earlier - nothing higher will fit into the memory. Bummer

Something that helps in the older 512K radios is to make SURE the PL/DPL settings are correct. Not sure the exact terminology in the CPS, but you want the radio to close the squelch when it looses the PL/DPL - NOT A LOSS OF CARRIER.

For this exact reason, I want to upgrade to a 1Meg controller in my AS1. Anyone???
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Hightower wrote:
So if your radio has a 512K controller, your out-of-luck and will have to deal with the somewhat tigher squelch. However if your controller is a 1Meg, a firmware uplift to 7.71.00 / 8.03.03 will solve the tight squelch. Actually Host/dsp above 7.04.xx / 8.xx.xx should NOTexibit this tight squelch issue.

Something that helps in the older 512K radios is to make SURE the PL/DPL settings are correct. Not sure the exact terminology in the CPS, but you want the radio to close the squelch when it looses the PL/DPL - NOT A LOSS OF CARRIER.
I have 1M / 07.03.something - so maybe the last version with this issue? Anyway there is almost no chance for me to get the update - I live in Germany, the AS ist almost unknown here, has not been sold in this market, and nobody does service on those radios. Although they are legit radios with legit serial #, I assume sending them to Mot Germany will make them raise their eyebrows, it will take weeks to get it finished, and they will charge me a fortune :-)

Most channels are mixed mode, CSQ, so the squelch mode issue should not be a problem.

Thank you for the great information!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

I started to notice some Astro Sabers at SQ 1 were very close if not at the noise floor on some frequencies, other Astro Sabers of the same split would appear to have tight squelch at SQ 1. Started to notice a pattern of all 512K radios had the tight SQ 1, while radios with more current 1Meg firmware radios worked properly (IMHO) at SQ 1.

I'm not sure what firmware started to address the squelch table problem and correct it. This same exact squelch issue existed in the Uniden BCD396T / BCD996T scanners with its earlier firmware. Enough people complained to Paul about it, and in the later firmwares released, Uniden "loosened" the squelch [a little too loose now actually - IMHO]. In these few instances, I like things loose 8)

Early on, I thought maybe the radios were out of alignment, or CPS version might be buggering it up. Nope..... Thought there may be something in Astro Tuner to further adjust the squelch. Nope.

At least you have a 1meg controller - be thankfull of that because it can be upgraded someday. Two weeks from now you may cross paths with some Astro guru in your area who can upgrade your radio. At least it's upgradable 8)

RANT MODE ON :x
Here's another example on why knowing what firmware is in a radio before buying it just as important as the FLASHport options - firmwares' actually more important. I see 800Mhz Astro sabers and XTS3000's go for top dollar on eBay with old "non-rebanded" firmware. Sure the radio has all the trunking stuff you'll ever need, but won't work when they flip the rebanding switch in the near future.
RANT MODE OFF :lol:
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Hightower wrote: Two weeks from now you may cross paths with some Astro guru in your area who can upgrade your radio. At least it's upgradable 8)
Who is this? Jochen? I would be glad to get in contact with him!
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

There are folks here on the board that can do the upgrade you need.
Why dont you post a wanted message and see if you can get some help that way? You may get lucky!

Chris
N9LLO
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

N9LLO wrote:There are folks here on the board that can do the upgrade you need.
Why dont you post a wanted message and see if you can get some help that way? You may get lucky!

Chris
N9LLO
I want to avoid sending the radios through the whole world, customs issues, time, costs...
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”