MTX8250 - disabling TX PTT

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bellersley
No Longer Registered

MTX8250 - disabling TX PTT

Post by bellersley »

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas.

I've been 'tasked' with finding a way to prevent a PTT on an MTX8250.

I'm not worried about TRANSMITTING, I'm worried about the radio user keying up. I have removed the radio's PTT button, however it will still key up with an external mic hooked up.

Would simply cutting the PTT line on the accessory connector work, or would that mess with programming?

Yes, I'm aware of the whole 'buy a scanner' thing. It isn't my radio and I didn't program it. I was just asked to see if there was something I could do to remove the ability for the user to PTT is all.

Thanks!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: MTX8250 - disabling TX PTT

Post by HLA »

if it's a simplex or repeater system then just check the box that says recieve only and it will disable the transmit.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

It is being used as a RX radio for one of the media 'chase cars' up here. It is on a trunking system (yes yes, I know, bad idea...but it isn't my decision).
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Dont give them the speaker mic..
John

Post by John »

I have been able to accomplish this by going into the alignment program and turning the transmit power setting down to nothing. I also did the same for the modulation levels. Then it will show a PTT but not put out enough power to actually do anything. This may not be good for the components but it does work.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”