Help w/Astro Spectra rear head

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firetech792

Help w/Astro Spectra rear head

Post by firetech792 »

I'm adding a brand new Astro Spectra head/kit to an existing, already installed AS radio in a fire chief Tahoe. I programmed the radio for dual head and plugged in the rear head. The rear head back-lites ( but no display) and can actually control the modes & volume on the front head. But no switching between heads. Almost like its running parallel to the front. I looked at the programming again and again. I also reprogrammed the head for F/R on the keypad. I'm sure I'm overlooking something. Any ideas? There is no VIP plugs with the speaker pods but I think I did this in the past without them.
Thanks in advance
Pete
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Help w/Astro Spectra rear head

Post by jmr061 »

It would be beneficial to know the part numbers of the control heads and cables you are using.

Jason
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

The vehicle is not here now. So I don't have the part numbers from inside the vehicle. This is an existing, hi power, working AS installed in a vehicle. The rear head kit is brand new from Motorola and was ordered after the radio. It includes the rear cable and the head, which is now in front of me, is an HCN1121D REAR. Again, all brand new.

When the F/R button is pushed on the front head, it does nothing. Not even a beep. And the button was programmed. When the rear head is disconnected, I get the error code showing on the front head that the rear head is disconnected. So I know it took in the program.
I have many dual head AS in operation here but they were ordered that way when new. This problem now is an "add on" that wasn't ordered with the radio. Guess I'll wait to get one of the ambulances in here and start switching stuff around.
Thanks for the input.
Pete
akardam

Post by akardam »

It would also be beneficial to know the model number of the radio in question, along with the flashcode, host firmware revison, dsp firmware revision, and version of CPS being used.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Flash- 400001-000000-1
Mod- T04KLH9PW9AN

DSP & host is not showing on the archive (radio isn't here)

CPS- R05.02.00

Thanks
Pete
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Ah its VSELP. I bet the host is really old. I'd get it upgraded and try it. Are you using VSELP or just analog?
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Yup...its VSELP. We were one of the first to get it in 1994. We have about 60 AS mobiles. But we no longer use the digital. Its an anolog system only now. If its an issue of upgrading it to get the rear head to work, we probably won't since were going to change out all of our mobiles in the next 1-2 years.
Thanks again
Pete
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Are the working units from the same "batch" of radios? If they are that would throw out the idea of host/dsp being the issue.

Jason
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

No they're not the same batch of radios. There is about (3) different batches that were purchased over the years.

This project wasn't a priority. We happen to have a new Astro Spectra rear kit and one of the fire chiefs thought it would be nice to have a remote head in the rear of his Tahoe. We'll most likely just mount a seperate Maxtracor CDM and be done with.

Thanks again for all the help.
Pete
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Now this is just a shot in the dark, have you checked the power switch on the rear head. I know with the analog Spectra if the little tab that locks the switch is gone and the power switch gets turned off the radio will go into TX. As I said, this is just a shot in the dark.

Jim.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Yes, checked the switch. Its a brand new head.
After some of the feedback I have received, I'm starting to believe it might be an old firmware problem. Thanks for the suggestion Jim.
Regards
Pete

Return to “Radio Programming”