Min V Disassembly

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rescue1026

Min V Disassembly

Post by Rescue1026 »

Can anyone tell me how to get one of these apart?
Every time we need contacts cleaned we have to pay $80 for the Moto dealer to do it, a rip!
We also seem to have a batch of "out of spec" speakers, according to Moto tech, that will pick up metal shaving and debris at a very annoying rate causing the speaker function to diminish or stop. We have had some success using mag mount antenna bases to remove the debris, but it never really gets it all out, again, another $100 bill each (x10)(x20) gets real expensive. They are all out of warranty, so thats not an issue

Thanks
Al

Re: Min V Disassembly

Post by Al »

The Min Vs are IS(intrinsically safe) pagers. Where you are using them, do you worry about explosive atmospheres, fine explosive dust, etc.? If you are, you should be using a Factory Mutual certified repair station to keep the IS rating on your pagers. If your M shop is not FM certified, he has no business opening them up unless you're not worried about using them in the conditions I mentioned above.
I've also seen problems with steel filings in the speakers on occasion, and I don't believe there's any sure cure for it except to tell the user to carry the pager in an inside pocket set to vibrate alert. Most two way radios and pagers have magnetic fields at the front of the speakers where the voice coil is, and short of using 'magnetic shunts' in front of the speaker as were used in the SP50 and probably other portables there's not much you can do. BTW, the shunts reduced the sound level on the SP50s when they were used to prevent filing pickup in places like sawmills, etc.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

They are used in typical fire/rescue application.
I had a discussion with the Moto rep at FDIC last year and he sent me a new pager with a screen behind the grille, it helps, but I still get all kinds of crap in the speaker. Funny thing is, Most of us work in office environments and cant account for the metal debris? The rep said the speakers where out of spec and had a grater than usual field, I can actually pick up silverware off of the table with my V. just hoping for a way to clean these out w/o the major, re-occuring expense.
cptinsano
New User

Post by cptinsano »

I work in extremely dirty environments, were grinding/welding is constant, I clean my Pager every 2-3 Days, just take a Rare Earth magnet and pull off the metal filings with it. The magnet in the speaker is pretty weak, a more powerful magnet will over power it and attract the metal to itself. Takes me about 30 seconds.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”