Portable radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Viking

Portable radios

Post by Viking »

I'm looking for new portable radios.
We currently have HT1000 radios and some XTL1500 radios. The users can be a little rough and the XTL1500's antenna connectors keep breaking.

Can anybody recommend a good and "cheap" radio?

Any body got any experience with the EX560 or the XPR6550?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: Portable radios

Post by Mfire39 »

Viking wrote:The users can be a little rough and the XTL1500's antenna connectors keep breaking.
How can you be "a little rough" with a mounted XTL mobile radio to the point that antenna connectors are breaking? I would start re-thinking where these things are mounted instead of looking for new mobiles..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Since the topic is "portable radios", and he discusses HT1000s, XPR6550s, and EX560s, I'm going to assume he meant XTS1500, not XTL. For the OP, the XTL is the mobile version.

That being said - breaking antenna connectors on XTS1500s? I don't think you're going to find anything significantly more rugged out there - maybe an MX300? I'd be considering evaluating *why* the antennas are breaking, and change the user behavior to address the issue.
dbfd588
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale

Post by dbfd588 »

tvsjr wrote:That being said - breaking antenna connectors on XTS1500s? I don't think you're going to find anything significantly more rugged out there - maybe an MX300? I'd be considering evaluating *why* the antennas are breaking, and change the user behavior to address the issue.

I agree, Im not sure Ive ever seen a portable with the antenna connector broke. Maybe a BNC type but not the connections being used these days. They would almost have to "want" to break them in order for it to happen.
Will

Post by Will »

tvsjr wrote: I'd be considering evaluating *why* the "portable radio's",antennas are breaking, and change the user behavior to address the issue.
Right, you do NOT handle the radio by the antenna.... The radio's antenna IS NOT a handle...
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Will wrote:Right, you do NOT handle the radio by the antenna.... The radio's antenna IS NOT a handle...
And if you keep handling the radio by the antenna, I will dig out my "special" MX350S and make you carry it instead! The antenna is also NOT a clip for the speaker mic.

I've found that spending the money to issue everyone a radio (rather than "shift" radios) tends to pay for itself... if they tear it up, they get to 'splain to the boss how they did it rather than just sticking the radio back on the charger.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

tvsjr wrote:
Will wrote:Right, you do NOT handle the radio by the antenna.... The radio's antenna IS NOT a handle...
And if you keep handling the radio by the antenna, I will dig out my "special" MX350S and make you carry it instead! The antenna is also NOT a clip for the speaker mic.

I've found that spending the money to issue everyone a radio (rather than "shift" radios) tends to pay for itself... if they tear it up, they get to 'splain to the boss how they did it rather than just sticking the radio back on the charger.

Beat me too it. I'm convinced that no one will ever grasp these two concepts though.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello :
Another antenae abuse i see that gets my goat is when the user wraps the speaker mike cord coils around the antenae from base to tip.
Yeah it maybe helps with keeping the cord from flopping around.
But id really apreciate it if they didnt call with tx/rx range problems when they do it.
Satelite
:lol:
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

The EX560 and XPR6500 would run about same price 1K + (depending on your local dealer pricing of course)
XPR is not really designed for public safety use.XPR6550 is the display/GPS model,no need for GPS unless you have the TRBO Digital Repeater system running.
Depending on your channel needs,I would suggest either PR1500 or MT1500 ( display model in version 1.5).Normally can be found for less than $1K each.
Or try the Vertex VX-924 with MDC1200 option board if you are using MDC at all or need it.
Never seen a broken antenna connector on any XTS series yet,but then again we do not have a market for that around here like some people do.
nothing
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Motorola is in fact marketing the TRBO series to public safety, in fact there's an app out now for TRBO that does citation issuing and filing over the air....
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:Motorola is in fact marketing the TRBO series to public safety, in fact there's an app out now for TRBO that does citation issuing and filing over the air....
Is that actually marketed towards police, or more towards city services (code enforcement, etc.)?

Moto can't decide what Moto is doing, which is part of the problem. Initially, TRBO was strictly business - P25 was the public safety platform. Now that Moto's realized not everyone can afford $3K a radio, they've laxed up on TRBO. Same thing happened with the Waris portables...
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

If I see someone picking up a portable by the handle, I, as politely but firmly as possible, tell them "DON'T pick it up by the handle!" Then, depending on how comfortable I am with the customer, I ask the guys if their mama picked THEM up by their 'handle'????. They usually get the idea. I then tell them "Don't ever let me see you doing that again."

Another abuse I've seen is the guy who has a big ring o' keys; slips it over the antenna. Yeah, good. Big hunk o' metal coil & metal pieces right at the base of the antenna, where the current is highest, and therefore will distort the RX pattern & TX VSWR really, really well. Blown finals, anyone?
oscarray
New User

Post by oscarray »

Good and cheap don't neccessarily come in the same package. The highest standard for portable radio durability is "cop proof". The Motorola XTS 5000 meets milspec 810 and others and is less prone to antenna mount breakage than the 1500 or the 2500 due to the fact the antenna mount is not soldered directly into the circuit board.

The department I work for has paid between $3000 and $6000 for the XTS 5000 which makes me think Motorola names their radios with the sale price included 8)

Oscar
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

We have a significant number of VHF XTS1500 and XTS2500 radios come in with broken antenna connectors. The radios are equipped with the broadband antenna which has the 'stiffy' at the bottom. Changing the antenna to the more flexible band range specific antenna seems to solve the problem. There appears to be MANY officers whose 'overhang' or where they carry the radio puts undue pressure on the connector.
Viking

Post by Viking »

I’m sorry for the miss spelling of the model number.

The users are public safety related agencies. They do use the caring handle and wrap the antennas with the mic cord.

The other issue that we have with the XTS1500 and XTS2500 are the battery contacts and the control knobs. I have tried to contact Motorola about the issues, but I have not heard any thing.

I have not used seen the Vertex VX-924 or any Vertex radios for a long time. Are they still using the heavy metal frame?

Is it still Vertex or Motex?

We are currently looking at Motorola’s new $7000 dual-band Vertex radio for our first responders. It might happen if the government welfare continues.
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

escomm wrote:Motorola is in fact marketing the TRBO series to public safety, in fact there's an app out now for TRBO that does citation issuing and filing over the air....
I actually was thinking of putting together TRBO for a PD who wanted AVL in the cars and on portable during foot pursuits.
I had two Motorolans tell me not to sell TRBO to public safety.It is still a option and PD demo in UHF went very well for the 2 weeks they ran it with GPS/AVL on the car and portable TRBo units.Maybe "M" afraid of missing an Astro sale opportunity?
nothing
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

oscarray wrote: The department I work for has paid between $3000 and $6000 for the XTS 5000 which makes me think Motorola names their radios with the sale price included 8)

Oscar
Deja Vu-was in meeting today with a University PD trying to get them out of thier LTS200 and into something newer.
When I was asked by the director for rough price for the XTS ports,the reply for XTS1500 was roughly $1500,then he asks about XTS2500,reply was roughly $2500 and the director looked at me and said" let me guess,$5000 for the XTS5000?".
Bone chilled silence in the room.Then laughter all around the 8 people in attendance.I replied " roughly".Then we dropped a more reasonable number.
nothing
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wkr518 wrote: I actually was thinking of putting together TRBO for a PD who wanted AVL in the cars and on portable during foot pursuits.
I had two Motorolans tell me not to sell TRBO to public safety.It is still a option and PD demo in UHF went very well for the 2 weeks they ran it with GPS/AVL on the car and portable TRBo units.Maybe "M" afraid of missing an Astro sale opportunity?
From the MotoTRBO FAQ:

What types of organizations would be best suited for MotoTRBO?

Public (government) administration....small, municipal public safety
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I've been to several Motorola Roadshows where they specifically stated TRBO was intended for public safety. They are tested to higher physical & military specs than the Waris radios. The slides I've seen show them filling the public safety market, with the Astro radios targeted at mission critical / homeland security markets.

One thing I've seen with XPR portables...the power/volume control is crap. They eventually lose the tactile 'click' when turning on/off, which can make it hard to know if it is indeed on or off in the non-display models without pressing a button to check. They also become very sensitive to being bumped, a small movement can make a large difference in volume level.

As well, I'm not convinced the TRBO audio in VHF is as good as in UHF...lots more warble & intermittant 'talking through water' type sounds going on.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

wavetar wrote:I've been to several Motorola Roadshows where they specifically stated TRBO was intended for public safety. They are tested to higher physical & military specs than the Waris radios. The slides I've seen show them filling the public safety market, with the Astro radios targeted at mission critical / homeland security markets.
That's quite a shift in the target market. Just a year ago TRBO marketing literature was focused toward industry with the pitch being related to "business critical" and "workforce productivity" applications. No hints or suggestions at all that TRBO was suitable for PS.
Terry
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Can't say I agree Terry. Motorola ran a couple case studies at the dealer expo in February touting Trbo for campus public safety. Granted, they're not "patrol" officers, but they still carry guns and have arrest powers :lol:
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

You didn't wread what I rote Jeff. 8)
Terry
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Terry_Glover wrote:
wavetar wrote:I've been to several Motorola Roadshows where they specifically stated TRBO was intended for public safety. They are tested to higher physical & military specs than the Waris radios. The slides I've seen show them filling the public safety market, with the Astro radios targeted at mission critical / homeland security markets.
That's quite a shift in the target market. Just a year ago TRBO marketing literature was focused toward industry with the pitch being related to "business critical" and "workforce productivity" applications. No hints or suggestions at all that TRBO was suitable for PS.
Straight from a sales presentation power point on MOL...

They are targeting many different verticals for TRBO...commercial, industrial, campus, PS...you name it.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Terry_Glover wrote:You didn't wread what I rote Jeff. 8)
I read it. They've been pushing it to public safety since day one.
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

A lot of you guys put way to much stock in what is nothing more then marketing crap.
Who cares what it is marketed for, the question is does it work. If MotoTRBO or whatever works for someone great, not everbody needs a Astro P25 super lowband single channel trucking system with radios that can do 10,000 modes for their one horse town.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

I wasn't questioning the TRBO's suitability for PS use, I don't think anyone in this thread was, but just that it was initially marketed by Motorola toward professional applications rather than PS or government.

This Mototrbo product line has been on the market for about three years now and bugs have been worked out and improvements made. I'm sure the product meets the requirements of thousands of PS agencies. TRBO is actually a very innovative system with a lot of potential. I'm really glad to see it evolving, cause what's good for Moto is good for my retirement...
Terry
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

TRBO was released in 1st quarter 2007. Most certainly has not been on the market for 3 years.

And for the last time. It was marketed towards both Government and Public Safety from DAY ONE.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

MOTOTrbo was first introduced in 2006. About three years ago is a fair statement... RedOrbit

Public Service = dog catcher, truant officer, health department and etc. Public Safety = Police or Fire.

No more about it from me. Toss your bait in another part of the river. 8)
Last edited by Terry_Glover on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Introduced =/= On the market.

The APX7000 was introduced this year, doesn't mean you can go and buy one now does it?

Clearly you weren't at the dealer expo in 2007, or 2008, or any of the roadshows, or you'd have seen the 30-60 minute presentations in general session, plus more breakouts than you could shake a stick at, talking about why trbo was so great for police officers in uniforms, you know, public safety.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The deceased equine has been summarily flogged.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”