GM300 low volume problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TheAnka

GM300 low volume problem

Post by TheAnka »

I moved a GM300, and after setting it back online the audio volume is very very low. If I turn the volume to maximum, it is just below the "acceptable" level to hear the beep and any audio.

I checked the rear 16-pin connector and it is unchanged. (litterally, I powered off the radio, moved it down the hall to anotehr room, turned it on, and the audio was down) Same power supply, no changes to programming, just walked down the hall and plugged it back in to power and antenna.

What would be the most likely cause on this?

Thanks for any direction.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: GM300 low volume problem

Post by wavetar »

The most likely cause is the speaker itself. The radio is likely 15 years old & just the act of movement might've affected the speaker. It could even be as simple as oxidized connections on the control head pins. Easiest thing to try is another control head, if you have another radio around.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I would try reseating the control head connectors first, as that's pretty easy to try.

The feedthru connectors between the RF and Logic boards can go bad causing all kinds of intermittent problems, see this post:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ru#p302285

if you have the older connector it WILL be bad, don't let anyone suggest that cleaning it will help, they become physically broken over time and by now pretty much 100% of them will have broken.

I suppose you can't rule out a bad volume control either.
TheAnka

Post by TheAnka »

A simple disconnect the head, reconnect the head did the trick. I am shocked, it was firmly connected and looked to be in good condition. Anyway, working great now!

Thanks!
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

If the front panel connector pins gave you problems by being dirty or corroded, then the connector between the RF board and the logic board inside the radio are very likely to be in the same condition. They'll push your radio off-frequency and cause other intermittent problems. They should be cleaned, and to do so properly means taking most of the radio apart. There are plenty of posts about this problem, which seems to affect GM300s mostly. Good luck actually searching this board to find them (hey, at least this doesn't affect Spectra radios).

Bob M.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”