Astro Spectra Consolette Programming

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB4JGI
was whitstu

Astro Spectra Consolette Programming

Post by WB4JGI »

Hello All, I have a W7 VHF Astro Spectra Consolette with the TTRC option installed. I'm trying to figure out how to program the unit. What I have is the DB-25 pin ribless "ebay type" programming cable and running version 5.01 software. I've tried reading off of the Accessory 2 and 3 jacks on the rear of the consolette but CPS says it can't communicate with the radio. I also took the consolette apart and unplugged the 2nd DB25 on the drawer unit and the radio gave me Fl01/90, I guess it requires comms with the TTRC board. I think I could possibly use the DB-15 connector on the inside of the consolette, but I don't have that cable handy at the moment.

Is there any way I can program this consolette with what I have?
Thanks,
Stu
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Re: Astro Spectra Consolette Programming

Post by WB4JGI »

Well, I think I found what I was looking for: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37221
Stu
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

I program our consolettes by opening the case and using a standard astro spectra programming cable plugged into the rear of the spectra itself.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I've had absolutely no problem programming an Astro Spectra, TRC or otherwise from the rear DB-25. If it's an Astro Spectra PLUS ot XTL series; break 'er open and use the KVL port. No other way for those critters that I've heard of or found. Crappy design and PITA in my opinion. But that would be just the start of my rant about that whole crappy consolette case design - from the "Don't lift from the front" complaint to the "How in the hell do you get this thing open" complaint...
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

4n6inv wrote:I've had absolutely no problem programming an Astro Spectra, TRC or otherwise from the rear DB-25. If it's an Astro Spectra PLUS ot XTL series; break 'er open and use the KVL port. No other way for those critters that I've heard of or found. Crappy design and PITA in my opinion. But that would be just the start of my rant about that whole crappy consolette case design - from the "Don't lift from the front" complaint to the "How in the hell do you get this thing open" complaint...
Haha, amen brother... Worst. Case. Ever. They're so annoying that we just leave ours cracked open so when we go to re-program its not a pain in the rear. Since they're all in a back room with MC3000 remotes, it doesn't really matter.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

When the state gave us our consolette...same deal. Wouldn't program off of the DB25...had to crack it open to reprogram it. Other depts where able to do so, some not. Wondering is maybe a part mismatch or problem happened to be in the production line somewhere.

I haven't checked, but I thought there was a TTRC flash update on MOL at one point, but I don't know what the upgrade/fix was.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

First of all let me say thanks ya'll for all the replies.

Update: I ended taking the puzzle apart and programing from the 15 pin on the drawer unit. I started to build one of the Astro Spectra Consolette cables but it's one of those projects that got lost in the basement http://www.batlabs.com/astconscbl.html. Maybe I'll be able to find it and get it finished, that way I don't have to take this thing apart every time.
Stu
d119

Post by d119 »

What I've seen done on the consolettes that don't contain the clock/timer board in the front, is folks take a DB15 male to female cable and flush-mount it on the front plastic of the consolette where the clock would be, this way the cases can remain closed and access to the DB15 is right on the front of the radio.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Damn good idea, excpet for the P-25 radios. Anyone been able to fit some type of "pass-thru" connector that looks like the KVL port, aside from the hirose connector? Keyloading is certainly a less traumatic experience with the latter; but actual codeplug programming.... Urrrgh! I'm currently recruiting senior members - end users included - to serve as ghosts to come back and haunt the SOB's that came up with this debacle of a design. This is definitely one of those "What in the hell were they thinking?" moments. Couple that thought with the sadistic mind(s) that came up with that horrible case design, and the variations of radios that you can/cannot program externally. Screw it! I'm calling my Voodoo Priestess RIGHT NOW! They'll be sorry....
RKG

Post by RKG »

The Astro P25 consolettes we have (using XTL5000 mobiles inside) will onlyl program from the data connector on the rear of the radio deck.

Not only is the plastic case a problem, but first we would have to get the radios out of the console shelves, significantly compounding the PITA factor.

So what we did instead was to buy an extra "data" cable for each radio, sort of a bargain at $60 per in Motorolaworld. We milled a slot about 1/4" wide and 1/2" deep in the rear plane of the plastic case, passed the data cable through, and screwed it down to the back of each radio. Remembering to label which cable went to which radio, we then let them droop down in the console cabinet, so that when you open the door under the writing surface, the DB-9 ends of the cables are right there. Works like a charm.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I was never aware that you could program them from the DB-15. Is there a special cable for that or do you just use the old Spectra programming cable and a rib? I've been using the "keyoader" type programming cable and programming them from the front of the radio's remote interface board... Is this a special cable?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

From what I can tell, version R02.04 is the latest revision for the tone remote boards. Its available on MOL.
Release Notes wrote:ASTRO Digital Spectra/Spectra Plus/XTL 5000 Consolette
Tone Remote Control Board Firmware R02.04 Release Notes

Introduction
The Tone Remote Control Board firmware defines the functionality and ergonomics unique to the
ASTRO Digital Spectra/Spectra Plus/XTL 5000 Consolette when equipped with option L146.
Option L146 is associated with Tone Remote Control Boards PLN1360 and PLN1687.

New Features in this Release
• Release R02.04 includes a software bug fix for a case where powerup is not consistent. It
also adds support for reporting the Analog Trunking PTT-IDs to the Console.

Compatibility
Version R02.04 of the Tone Remote Control firmware is compatible with both the PLN1360 and
PLN1687 Tone Remote Control Boards.

Instructions
To update the Consolette radio with this firmware release follow the procedure outlined in the
“Installation_Instructions.pdf” file included with the package. “WiPlash” is the Windows-based
updater tool provided with this package. “SPlash” is the DOS-based updater tool that is still
available for older systems. Both are available through Motorola Online.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Update: I went ahead and made the programming cable listed here: http://www.batlabs.com/astconscbl.html and everything is working fine.

I noticed that this console has a Remote board in it, how do I find out if it is Tone or DC? Also does anyone know what the service manual part number is for the Consolette? I assume it would have all the pin outs of the remote board as well?
Stu
d119

Post by d119 »

whitstu wrote:Update: I went ahead and made the programming cable listed here: http://www.batlabs.com/astconscbl.html and everything is working fine.

I noticed that this console has a Remote board in it, how do I find out if it is Tone or DC? Also does anyone know what the service manual part number is for the Consolette? I assume it would have all the pin outs of the remote board as well?

I don't think Astro Spectra consolettes were ever offered with DC keying... It's either going to be Local, Tone, or Digital keying.

Local = Local
Tone = Tone Remote Keying (TRC)
Digital = Requires ACIM card in the CEB to get all the fancy stuff working.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”