Firmware 12.00.00, Encryption & System Access Problems

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Firmware 12.00.00, Encryption & System Access Problems

Post by fireradio »

All,

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar - some of my more experienced users have noticed a potential problem with their XTS5000 portables running firmware 12.00.00. When they're on a talkgroup in the clear, there are no problems. But when using encryption, in the same spot, they get bonked-out and have trouble getting a channel grant. If they mash the PTT a few times, they eventually get through, but then the decoded voice is often unreadable.

One user's radio seems to be particularly affected, making it very difficult for him to get a channel grant anytime he's inside a building where he'd otherwise have decent coverage. I looked at the radio with a monitor, TX is only 40 Hz off freq, and RX is good beyond 0.15 mV, so the TX/RX seem to be well within spec.

Any ideas?
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Re: Firmware 12.00.00, Encryption & System Access Problems

Post by batdude »

two recommendations

#1 - give him another radio

#2 - don't bother sending the "bad" one in to the depot... total waste of time there. maybe arrange for it to be "lost at the scene"?

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I'm sure it's just a typo, but I'd be real worried if a radio could only open up with .15 mV of signal. I think you meant .15 uV?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Did this issue only begin to occur when the radios were upgraded to 12.00.00? If so, it's definitely a problem the Motorola support group needs to get involved in.

Does this occur in fringe areas, or can it be anywhere? Is it possibly happening in buildings in which the radios are running through BDAs? I've seen some issues in the past with that.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RKG

Post by RKG »

I tend to doubt a firmware issue: we recently set up 76 P25 portables using software encryption. All portables werre 12.00. Works without issue.

Only differences between what we did and what is described in this post:

First (and I don't think it is significant) is that they were XTS2500 radios.

Second (and I wonder if this is part of the problem): system was set up for coded only; no mixed mode.
d119

Post by d119 »

batdude wrote:two recommendations

#1 - give him another radio

#2 - don't bother sending the "bad" one in to the depot... total waste of time there. maybe arrange for it to be "lost at the scene"?

doug

WTF?!?!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I could have sworn there was another post or two posted here with similar problems, and also from VA...

Try searching the last couple of pages. I think there was a soultion or Moto was finally able to dupe something. 12.00.03 or somewhere around there has been released.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Thanks for the responses - the problem seems to be worst when a speaker-mic is attached (both public safety and non-public safety mics, both on the hip or radio held up in the air). My users experiencing the problem had their radios upgraded to 12.00.10/12.00.11 and the problem went away. I haven't seen any FSBs or any other info from Motorola related to the problem, and we have such a small contingent of encrypted users that either nobody else is having the problem, or nobody else noticed it.

Who knows. If anyone else runs into something similar, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks,

Charlie
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”