2006 Escape Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

btrains

2006 Escape Install

Post by btrains »

No images yet for this install, as I work 3rd shift, so it's usually dark when I am up to do anything.

So, my vehicle of choice (well not my choice...) is a 2006 Ford Escape. As I am in college, it is "mine" but registered to my parents, so drilling and major modifications to the vehicle are not allowed by powers above me haha.

I'm also living in an apartment complex, so the ability to mount antennae outside of my dwelling or on a tower is also impossible, especially without a balcony and living on the ground floor.

My install is what some have considered gawdy, unprofessional, and / or just kind of weird. I have four radios in my Escape: a small Uniden CB, MaxTrac on 6m, Spectra on 2m, and MaxTrac on 900. I've recently swapped the 900 radio for my Yaesu FT 7800 to get me on 440 since there is more action there in Columbus, Ohio, than on the non-existent 900 band. I also am currently undergoing recapping surgery on both of my VHF Spectras. One will go back in the car, another in the apartment as a "base" radio. In the mean time, the Spectra's vacancy has been willed with an 800 GTX for RX only.

My CB is mounted above the rearview mirror, suspended on it's mounting bracket that is attached to a length of aluminum that was conveniently lined with holes (thanks Tractor Supply), that I wedged above the headliner. The Spectra and 900 MaxTrac are attached in an unorthodox manner to the center console. I cut lengths of coat hanger wire and bent them into Z shapes. I then wedged these under the lip between the top of the console and the side panels. This allows for two hooks to stick out which I run through screw holes in the mounting brackets and then squeeze tightly. One radio is mounted on each side of the console, so yes, they are perpendicular to the way you'd normally look at a display. The 6m MaxTrac is mounted in the most embarassing manner of all the radios. Simply put, it sits on top of the dash board secured down by, of all things, velcro tape. I am aware this is not the safest place for a radio, but I have yet to see a viable alternative.

Are there any mouting kits or alternatives to the random hodge-podge of radios all over? Sadly the 06 Escape is about the least radio friendly vehicle I've seen. Not only does it have a center shifter, it also has the parking brake in the center console too as a big lever in the way of everything. And to answer the question that will come up: Yes, my Escape is a rat's nest of wiring. Since I have to run mag mount antennae, I've got coax poking out of random seems all over. As soon as I get a chance with sunlight, I will post some pics. I could really use some advice on what to do!

Brad
KD8GUA
fineshot1

Re: 2006 Escape Install

Post by fineshot1 »

I did an MCS2000 model 1 dashmount install on one of these and there was not much choice as to where it was to be installed.
I installed it on the passenger side of the center console and angled it as best I could(via the adjustable bracket) towards the
driver. If I had a remote kit for the head it would have made the install easier but did not have any on hand. If you can find
them remote head radios would be easier to install but then of course you would have to find a spot to hide the main unit.
Not many places to mount on this one - good luck & happy holidays.....
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”