MDC identifiers

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tcash158

MDC identifiers

Post by tcash158 »

We currently have 6 cdm 1250's, 6 ex 600's and about 13 ht 1250's all Motorola of course that have MDC 1200 signaling. The question I have is there a way to change the I-D of one radio and then all of the rest of the radios show that change without reprogramming all of the radios. At this time if I take a portable off one of our trucks and issue it to a fire dept member and change the I-D in the radio where say the primary I-D is say 0024 to read his 3 digit unit number when he keys up that radio I have to go to every radio our dept owns and change them to show the same 3 digit unit number when they recieve it as well. I would think you should be able to change the primary I-D to each persons unit number or the truck number and them if you ever moved the raio to another truck of fire dept member all you have to do is change that one radio and all the recieving radios would not have to be reprogramed at all. Any help is greatly appricaited.
john9912
New User

Re: MDC identifiers

Post by john9912 »

Alias lists are stored in each receiving radio.
For example, if ID "1234" is transmitted over the air, the receiving radio receives "1234".
If there is no alias list in the receiving radio and the radio is set to display ID it will show 1234 on the display.
If "1234" is in the alias list of the receiving radio, translating ID "1234" = "Chief", the transmitter is still transmitting "1234" the receiving radio still receives "1234", the receiving radio looks up the alias for "1234" and shows "Chief" on the display.
If you program the transmitter to transmit "1235"and put 1235 in the receive alias list of the transmitting radio, and "1235" is not in the alias list of the receiver then the receiver will display "1235" and that's it. It has no idea what is in the receive alias list of the transmitter.

The transmitter is NOT transmitting truck # or portable # from this or that truck. If you are using aliasing you need to build your entire alias list IN ADVANCE, including for expansion and additional units, then program that into your radios to prevent reprogramming all receivers when adding a new unit. When my local fire dept built an alias list, they had plans for adding a ladder truck, I added into the alias lists, the truck id #, truck LT id#, truck portable id #'s even though it was 3or 4 years in the future. That wasy I wouldn't have to go back and reprogram all the dept's radios again.
tcash158

Post by tcash158 »

So can I change the transmiting ID code in the radio that transmits that cade to show a unit number on all the recieving radios when its keyed up? Like if it transmits an id of 1234 now and I take all of the reciving alias's out of all of the radios then change what ever the transmit id is to the persons unit number could i do that insted of changing every radio when we issue another radio to someone?
fman74
New User

Post by fman74 »

Hi guys,

How does one make these alias list? I have been looking everywhere in the software. We have HT1250,750 and CDM1250s.
john9912
New User

Post by john9912 »

Yes, If there is NO receive alias in your receive radio, and your transmitter is sending MD ID 1234, the receiver will display ID 1234. If you change the transmitter PTT ID to 5678 the receiver radio will display id 5678.

It will just display the PTT ID as sent. No aliasing
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

tcash158 wrote:So can I change the transmiting ID code in the radio that transmits that cade to show a unit number on all the recieving radios when its keyed up? Like if it transmits an id of 1234 now and I take all of the reciving alias's out of all of the radios then change what ever the transmit id is to the persons unit number could i do that insted of changing every radio when we issue another radio to someone?
if the id numbers are 0-9 and a-f.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

With the CDM series, as well as the HT1250 Waris line, whatever is programmed in as an MDC ID will be displayed on the other radios, EXCEPT if a specific ID is tagged with an alias, then the new ID will not be displayed withthat alias, but the new number will, or should be displayed, but not showing the actual user's alias originally programmed in the radios.
jbella

Post by jbella »

It seems as though the major shortfall in the XTS series is the number of available aliases per list. For the 5000s it's 100, the 2500s apparently only 50. In my fairly small department we are approaching 80 radios. This limits the amount of Mutual Aid radios you'd be able to alias.

One question is whether you can create more than one list, or assign multiple lists to be read?
RKG

Post by RKG »

crazyboy wrote:
tcash158 wrote:So can I change the transmiting ID code in the radio that transmits that cade to show a unit number on all the recieving radios when its keyed up? Like if it transmits an id of 1234 now and I take all of the reciving alias's out of all of the radios then change what ever the transmit id is to the persons unit number could i do that insted of changing every radio when we issue another radio to someone?
Not quite: the rules for MDC IDs are:

No E or F in the first digit; and
No F in any digit; and
0000h is not permitted.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

RKG wrote:
crazyboy wrote:
Not quite: the rules for MDC IDs are:

No E or F in the first digit; and
No F in any digit; and
0000h is not permitted.
Thanks for clarification

Return to “Radio Programming”