System 32 errors and or removal

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

System 32 errors and or removal

Post by FMROB »

Hello,

Opened an e-mail that I most likely shouldn't have, as I thought it was from someone that I know.

Now, when I re start the computer I get to small info boxes that open up.

One says installing or opening c:\windows\system32:slideshow.exe

The second stated that a violation occured of odsidium, aand a full verson would not allow for an error.

I have searched the system32 file and can't find it listed. I have run norton, spybot, reg mechanic to no avail. Any ideas on where to look or how to remove.

Thanks, Rob
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Re: System 32 errors and or removal

Post by kf4sqb »

While viewing the contents of the system32 folder, click on the tools menu at the top of the window, then click the folder options selection. Click on the view tab at the top of the folder option window, then look down until you find the hidden files & folders selection, and make sure the "show hidden files and folders" selection is checked. See if your "missing" files are shown then. You may also want to try to go to free.grisoft.com, and download AVG free antivirus. You will have to jump through a few hoops before you can download the free version (they try to sell you the paid-for version first). In my experience, it tends to find more stuff than most commercially-made anti virus programs do.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

you should be able to get the free version of AVG here http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

FMROB wrote:Hello,

Opened an e-mail that I most likely shouldn't have, as I thought it was from someone that I know.

Now, when I re start the computer I get to small info boxes that open up.

One says installing or opening c:\windows\system32:slideshow.exe

The second stated that a violation occured of odsidium, aand a full verson would not allow for an error.

I have searched the system32 file and can't find it listed. I have run norton, spybot, reg mechanic to no avail. Any ideas on where to look or how to remove.

Thanks, Rob
Of course you are not going to find that file, what you have is a particular installer for a virus or malignant TSR (hah, remember those??) which bombed out during its install. Somewhere in your system registry, i would bet you have a RUN instance, or a RUN ONCE, or a SERVICE instance of a call to that filename.

Launch Regedit, click the topmost section of your computer in the panel on the left, and search for "slideshow.exe" as a value/string/key and then search for "odsidium" in the same way. Betchya a dollar there is an entry in there, which your computer is processing, and then NOT finding that file, is giving your the error message you are getting for the "slideshow" error.

before i get any more involved on this problem, what version of windows are you running? FWIW if you say Vista, i can't help you a lick, sorry.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”