2001 tundra console advice needed

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

theplague

2001 tundra console advice needed

Post by theplague »

Hi,
I am looking for a console to put in my 2001 tundra truck for my Astro Spectras. It has split bench seats. Any pointers towards a compatible console would be awesome.
Thanks
--Don
theplague

Re: 2001 tundra console advice needed

Post by theplague »

I already checked all of them. They dont make anything for the toyotas.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

It's highly unlikely that you're going to find anything purpose-built for an '01 Tundra. '01 CV or Super Duty yes... Tundra not so much. You'll need to find a console that will fit (either a short console or one of the angled vertical types) and build your own mounting hardware. This will not be a "plug-and-play" exercise.
theplague

Post by theplague »

yah that is what I figured. I know that others here have tundras/tacomas & thought I'd ask. Jottodesk recommends one of their consoles that you can screw to the floor. Kinda nervous about doing that in a company vehicle altho he did let me drill the roof for antennas hmm.
--Don
Richard Collier

Post by Richard Collier »

I mounted my control heads on a flex shaft and it works great. I offroad alot and still pretty solid mount for the control heads mounted on it.See my post about 7 before this one under 03 tundra install.http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83298
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

What you might consider doing is to fabricate a piece of matal to be contoured to the floor. Bolt this to the
bottom of the new console box. Then make a bracket to attach to the under side of the dash that secures
the front. This should hold the console in place at the front. Without seeing what you have to work with at
the back, can't help any further.

I have done this in a couple of installations. I also drill a hole or two in the contoured to fit bracket. Then
take a couple of short sheet metal screws that are only long enough to bite into the rug. this keeps the
bracket from sliding around, but doesn't put holes into the sheet metal of the vehicle body. When you pull
the short screws out, you cant even tell where they were in the rug after rubbing the area a couple of times.
If you don't have a rug and have the rubber type matting instead, your screwed.

Jim

theplague wrote:yah that is what I figured. I know that others here have tundras/tacomas & thought I'd ask. Jottodesk recommends one of their consoles that you can screw to the floor. Kinda nervous about doing that in a company vehicle altho he did let me drill the roof for antennas hmm.
--Don

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”