APC Power Chute Software / Comm Port FYI

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

APC Power Chute Software / Comm Port FYI

Post by fineshot1 »

A word of warning to all you folks out there that run APC Power Chute ups communications software.

I have an older APC 2200 Smart UPS that does not have a USB port and only an RS232 port and recently downloaded
and installed the version I needed to run to be able to communicate with my ups system. It installed correctly and
I tested it and ran it several times and established my ups base line for later comparison in case of problems at a
later date. The software does not run in the back ground at all - I have it set up to only run on demand(manually by
me). Well, a couple of weeks later I go to use the comm port(my pc has only one) to program my XTS3000 and also
my icom 91AD and no go - I get no communications to radio. I confirmed the radios were aok by bringing them into
work and programing from my work pc with no problems. I suspected it might be the last thing I had done and un-
installed the APC Power Chute software and bingo like magic the comm port started working again.

The software was not running at all(not even in the back ground) and yet it still took control and would not let go
of my one and only comm port. Buyer beware.......
fineshot1
NJ USA
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: APC Power Chute Software / Comm Port FYI

Post by thebigphish »

That sounds about right. We had similar problems back when we were still downloading our lifepak AEDs by the serial cable dongle. The APC software gets its hooks into the IO stack for the serial port and doesn't let go. I didn't have to uninstall it, but i did create a second hardware profile (i thought it was a totally useless 'feature' built into windows, until i had to use it - then i realized it was a stopgap-crutch) which blacklisted the APC and then i would boot thru to that when i was using it.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
beatgr
New User

Post by beatgr »

IF you use an APC UPS with a Serial port -- you have to use their special serial cable (forgot the pin-outs).
It is NOT a straight through DB-9 serial (and I don't think it is NULL cable either).
I have several of these APC cables, so I never bothered checking with DVM.
HP even had a special cable (PN #940-0020B) for usage with APC UPS (serial port) and the HP server's serial port.

g. beat
w9gb
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

beatgr wrote:IF you use an APC UPS with a Serial port -- you have to use their special serial cable (forgot the pin-outs).
It is NOT a straight through DB-9 serial (and I don't think it is NULL cable either).
I have several of these APC cables, so I never bothered checking with DVM.
HP even had a special cable (PN #940-0020B) for usage with APC UPS (serial port) and the HP server's serial port.

g. beat
w9gb
Yes - I have this cable and it works with the APC Power Chute software. That is not the issue. Please re-read my original thread.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”