Is there a digital transition for the future?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hobbes

Is there a digital transition for the future?

Post by hobbes »

Was wondering about this recently what with the TVs switching over and all -- does anyone know if the FCC is going to make two-way licensees move from analog to digital transmission (in the same way that they forced the narrowband move)?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Not per se...

Post by Wowbagger »

I don't think the FCC will mandate a move to digital per se, but they will start squeezing the bandwidth per call down - currently it's moving to 12.5kHz/call, with 6.25kHz/call in the future (at least in the crowded 700/800/900MHz PMR bands).

There aren't a whole lot of choices when you get that narrow: you *could* go to AM, but the likelihood is you would go to some digital protocol.

However, unlike TV, there doesn't have to be a single, over-arching standard for PMR, so you can have things like NXDN, P25, D-STAR, and so on all co-existing.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”