UHF XTL 5K tuning?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jcm12
New User

UHF XTL 5K tuning?

Post by jcm12 »

I just don't understand how to adjust high and low power on XTL 5000s (We use VHF and UHF).

Is the power determined via the code plug or do Tx Power Characterization/Current Limit tweak these levels.

Ours are set at 10w for low and 25w for high, i just don't understand how to adjust these... say if it was reading 15 watts for low.. what would I do to get it to 10w?

Thanks guys, this place is a huge resource
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: UHF XTL 5K tuning?

Post by escomm »

You will need the tuning software and a watt meter and the service manual. Ideally you would be using a service monitor, but that is not required for tuning transmit power only. A watt meter will not tell you if you are transmitting off-frequency, however.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You have to do both.

First, you align the radio with Tuner. Run the current limit to max, do the power characterization, then set current limit (procedure in the help file). This allows the radio to know when it's making 10 watts, 20 watts, 50 watts... and it extrapolates the points in between. The radio has no way to measure the actual output power - by performing the power characterization alignment, you're matching the radio's logical values to the actual power being generated.

Second, you set the power you want in CPS.

If you're setting the radio to 10 watts and it's producing 15 watts, you need to redo the power characterization. Keep in mind that your average Bird 43 is +/- 10%. You really need a service monitor or a power meter to measure the power with more precision.
jcm12
New User

Post by jcm12 »

Thank you very much gentlemen, I'll give it a shot monday at the office .

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”