Formatting & MS-DOS

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

petbro
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT6000e,GP340,MTH650

Formatting & MS-DOS

Post by petbro »

Hi,

Is the programme(?) included in MS-DOS 6.2 start-up disk or is it on separate disks? If it's on separate where would i get this from?

I have also obtained a copy of windows 95 (new) and want to install on new 10gb hdd after installing MS-DOS. How should i format & partition HDD?

Thanks
Jim202

Re: Formatting & MS-DOS

Post by Jim202 »

If your starting from scratch on the hard drive, use the Windows install to do all the work for you. You didn't say
what format your Windows 95 is in. If it is on a CD, you will want to boot from the CD. Not all computers will do
this without getting into the Bios and changing it to have the CD drive as part of the boot sequence.

If you can get the CD to boot up, just follow the prompts for installing the Windows program. Make sure you have
the program key numbers. About half way through the process, it will ask for those numbers.

Jim

petbro wrote:Hi,

Is the programme(?) included in MS-DOS 6.2 start-up disk or is it on separate disks? If it's on separate where would i get this from?

I have also obtained a copy of windows 95 (new) and want to install on new 10gb hdd after installing MS-DOS. How should i format & partition HDD?

Thanks
petbro
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT6000e,GP340,MTH650

Re: Formatting & MS-DOS

Post by petbro »

[quote="Jim202"]If your starting from scratch on the hard drive, use the Windows install to do all the work for you. You didn't say
what format your Windows 95 is in. If it is on a CD, you will want to boot from the CD. Not all computers will do
this without getting into the Bios and changing it to have the CD drive as part of the boot sequence.

If you can get the CD to boot up, just follow the prompts for installing the Windows program. Make sure you have
the program key numbers. About half way through the process, it will ask for those numbers.

Jim

thanks Jim. managaed to do this ok.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”