Home Wifi Network

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Home Wifi Network

Post by Jim1348 »

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. I want to set up a home wifi network, but I want to get better range than the typical setup than you can buy at Best Buy, etc. Can anybody point to any good forums or websites to learn more about how to set up something with better range.
newtomotorola

Re: Home Wifi Network

Post by newtomotorola »

I can only assume that you want wireless access all over your house, a typical access point in a central location should do the job unless you own a mansion and in that case a good option is to use WDS (Wireless Distribution System) some access points support this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_D ... ion_System
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You haven't exactly given much on the details about what your trying to do.

Bear in mind that wireless connections are a real threat to the security of both your computer and internet connection.
If you live in a congested area, you may already be out of luck for much success. All your neighbors have already put
up their own wireless box and have started to jam each other. There are only 6 channels that can be used before you
start to cause interference between units.

I have fired up a laptop computer at the company location and seen some 10 to 15 connections pop up as available.
We have a 7 story apartment complex about 300 feet away. Just about all of those connections are open and don't
require anything special to connect to them. A couple of them are encrypted or require a password to get in. The
rest are free for the taking. Just don't get caught.

You mentioned you want to get better range. Just what are you expecting to get for distance? If you start looking
for huge distances with gain antennas and maybe an amplifier, your asking to have a visit from one of the feds that
you might not want knocking on your door.

Jim

Jim1348 wrote:Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. I want to set up a home wifi network, but I want to get better range than the typical setup than you can buy at Best Buy, etc. Can anybody point to any good forums or websites to learn more about how to set up something with better range.
Jim1348

Home Wifi Network

Post by Jim1348 »

Thank you for the replies. I have a 5 acre hobby farm and I would like to get coverage to an out building about 125 feet from the wifi router. I do have a secured wifi. As far as a visit from a federal agency, that is what I am trying to determine, is how much power is permissible for these devices? I have seen this URL http://www.valemountnetworks.com/ and I was surprised that it is a full watt. Is that a legal license free device for the US?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You might want to consider just trenching and run a CAT5 cable inside a PVC pipe to get to the building if it's only
125 feet. Think you would be much happier with a hard connection. Look around for some filled cable so it is
rated for underground service. Some of the larger suppliers have this type of cable. It will be a little messy
when you first strip back the outer jacket. Just clean off the gel and use it like a normal CAT5 cable.

Jim

Jim1348 wrote:Thank you for the replies. I have a 5 acre hobby farm and I would like to get coverage to an out building about 125 feet from the wifi router. I do have a secured wifi. As far as a visit from a federal agency, that is what I am trying to determine, is how much power is permissible for these devices? I have seen this URL http://www.valemountnetworks.com/ and I was surprised that it is a full watt. Is that a legal license free device for the US?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Given the use case, I'd suggest the following:

2 802.11a devices (5GHz)
2 directional antennas (e.g. "Pringles' (tm)" can) for 5GHz.
1 802.11b/g device (2GHz)

Configure ALL devices to use at a minimum WPA2 encryption.

Place 1 802.11a device at the house, one at the outbuilding, using the 2 directional antennas to make the link.

Connect the 802.11b/g device to the 802.11a device at the outbuilding with an appropriate jumper.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

FWIW, WPA2 TKIP has been compromised. I suspect WPA2 AES has also been broken as well although I am not aware of it being publicly released. If security is any concern at all, then a hardwire connection is the best way to go. And for God's sake if you do go wireless, don't pick a passphrase that has any word from the dictionary in it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Or run the connection open on an untrusted subnet and use something like an ASA5505 to allow you to VPN into your internal network.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You could install a wireless bridge between your house and your out building. You could use a broadband over powerline device. You could get two gaming adapters set to ad hoc with outdoor antennas set to act like a wireless bridge.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

I'd recommend this forum for help and suggestions with anything computer or network related >>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wlan .

There are guys over there who will go out of their way to offer solid, professional assistance.
Terry
Jim1348

Home Wifi Network

Post by Jim1348 »

That is a great tip. Thank you very much!

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”