Radio reset issue...power related?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Radio reset issue...power related?

Post by 007 »

I have a functional VHF Orion installed with a SS2000-ERCSN1 and SVR-200U in my vehicle. Everything is powered from a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse panel, fed with 6ga from the battery. Everything worked A-ok until I installed a Sho-Me signal stick and tried to power it from the SmartSiren. I assigned a siren/light button on the control head to power the B+ lead of the arrow stick controller.

When I hit the button to activate it, the arrow comes on but Orion resets itself like I turned it off and back on. I took the arrow stick control box apart and found a 40/60A relay, a decent sized capacitor and a large diode run between the negative lead and incoming positive, with current flow from - to +.

My thought is this control box when it powers up is causing enough of a voltage drop to make the Orion reset. I can't understand why Sho-Me has all this high current hardware in a controller of an LED arrow stick that draws 4 amps.

Thoughts?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
Will

Re: Radio reset issue...power related?

Post by Will »

Siren and lights should be sepetate battery feeds from the radio.
Make sure the small power lead to the radio control head come directly from the battery as any voltage drop can reset the radio.

If I read this correctly... the control lead from the button on the control head should switch on the power relay in the Arrow Stick control box.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The Orion seems to be sensitive to some RFI and voltage issues.

For awhile, turning my MW800 on would reset the radio. I moved the CPU and some cables around (dual radio setup) which seemed to help. The CPU was on the same fuse panel as the radios. Also seemed to do it more in cold weather than warm weather.

Something else at one time was also reseting the radio, but don't remember what it was.

My guess is that some of the GE cables were not manufactured with the best of shielding.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Your issues shed some light on the problem, PJ.

I guess I need to move some cables around and try again. After looking into this some more, I noticed the Orion is getting some RFI from the SmartSiren, which it never did in the last vehicle this setup was installed in. My guess is the cable bundle that I have in this vehicle, and the proximity of the gear to the antennas is causing the problem. I did install NMO mounts with dual shielded coax in anticipation of such issues, but that's apparently not enough.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”